Tenable Network Security Secures $50 Million Series A From Accel Partners
September 5, 2012
Investment to accelerate technology innovation and global expansion
Tenable Network Security, Inc., whose widely used software identifies network security gaps before they are exploited by attackers, today announced $50 million in first-round funding from Accel Partners.
Tenable will use the funds to expand its innovative security offerings and accelerate global growth – while deepening its research into evolving threats that are becoming a critical trust issue for CEOs, regulators and customers worldwide.
“Security is a mainstream issue – especially with the explosion of mobile, cloud and virtual computing,” said Ron Gula, CEO of Tenable. “Serious network attacks are far more common than anyone wants to publicly admit – and our customers count on us to keep their networks safe.”
Tenable is the top choice for businesses of all sizes, governments and universities to manage network threats. The company’s flagship vulnerability management products, Nessus and SecurityCenter, are used by the most demanding security professionals and compliance auditors at 15,000 organizations worldwide, including:
- The entire U.S. Department of Defense, where Tenable has become the vulnerability management standard
- 12 of the 14 U.S. Federal Civilian Departments
- Top Financial Services Companies: Barclays, Deloitte, RBS, Morgan Stanley, T. Rowe Price, Visa
- Technology Leaders: Spotify, Dell, Etsy, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Skype, Apple, Yahoo
- Top Universities: Brown, Dartmouth, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue
- Healthcare Leaders: Coventry, HealthSouth, Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Scripps, Sutter Health
- Key Energy Players: Chevron, Chesapeake Energy, ConocoPhillips, ConEdison, Duke Energy, TXU
- Retailer Innovators: Chipotle, GSI, Meijer, Diapers.com, Zappos.com
- Media Visionaries: British Sky Broadcasting, CBS, Comcast, Time Warner, 20th Century Fox
- Telecom Providers: Alcatel Lucent, Bell Canada, British Telecom, Softbank Mobile, Verizon
“Tenable is the thought leader in the rapidly growing and critical area of vulnerability assessment,” said Ping Li, General Partner at Accel, who will join Tenable’s board of directors. “IT security practitioners fight the constant battle to stay ahead of network attacks, and it’s only getting harder. Many of these practitioners globally rely on Tenable for their vulnerability management platform.”
Tenable’s SecurityCenter is the only security platform combining essential active and innovative passive vulnerability scanning, real-time network monitoring, and configuration and compliance management. Tenable’s Nessus, the industry’s most widely deployed vulnerability scanner, provides the deepest database of known vulnerabilities and compliance risks on the market today.
Tenable is continuing a multi-year pattern of rapid growth – with revenue climbing more than 550% over the past four years. The company has doubled its staff in 12 months to nearly 200 people and expects to double again in the next two years.
About Accel Partners
Founded in 1983, Accel Partners has a long history of partnering with outstanding entrepreneurs and management teams to build world-class businesses. Accel invests globally using dedicated teams and market-specific strategies for local geographies, with offices in Palo Alto, New York City, London and Bangalore; as well as in China via its partnership with IDG-Accel. Accel has helped entrepreneurs build over 300 successful companies, many of which have defined their categories, including Angry Birds (Rovio), Atlassian, Braintree, Brightcove, Cloudera, ComScore, Diapers.com (Quidsi), Dropbox, Etsy, Facebook, Flipkart, Fusion-IO, GlamMedia, Groupon, Imperva, Kayak, Lookout, Macromedia, metroPCS, QlikTech, Responsys, Riverbed, Spotify, Squarespace, Sunrun, Trulia, Veritas, Walmart.com, and Wonga. For more information, please visit the Accel Partners web site at www.accel.com or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/accel.
Stay up to date!
Subscribe to our email alerts for new press releases.