October 11, 2005
Microsoft released 9 advisories fixing several vulnerabilities this month. The following plugins make sure that the remote host has the patches applied either by connecting the remote registry or by checking the version of the files on disk:
- Plugin #19997 checks for MS05-044 (flaw in the FTP client)
- Plugin #19998 checks for MS05-045 (remote denial of service in the Network Connection Manager)
- Plugin #19999 checks for MS05-046 (remote code execution in the Network Client service, without authentication). This service is enabled only if one of the network interfaces of the host is configured to use IPX. (Note that this flaw can be exploited over IP).
- Plugin #20000 checks for MS05-047 (remote vulnerability in Plug-n-Play which requires credentials or a local account to be exploited)
- Plugin #20001 checks for MS05-048 (remote code execution in Microsoft Collaboration Data Objects)
- Plugin #20002 checks for MS05-049 (local overflows in the windows shell)
- Plugin #20003 checks for MS05-050 (code execution in DirectShow when processing a malformed .avi file)
- Plugin #20004 checks for MS05-051 (remote code execution MSDTC)
- Plugin #20005 checks for MS05-052 (IE cumulative update)
In addition to this, the plugin #20006 can check for the remote NetWare Client Service overflow over the network, without the need for any credentials. Our engineers are working on a credential-less plugin for MS05-051 as well.
Tenable transforms security technology for the business needs of tomorrow through comprehensive solutions that provide continuous visibility and critical context, enabling decisive actions to protect your organization. Tenable eliminates blind spots, prioritizes threats, and reduces exposure and loss. With more than one million users and more than 21,000 customers worldwide, organizations trust Tenable for proven security innovation. Tenable customers range from Fortune Global 500 companies, to the global public sector, to mid-sized enterprises in all sectors, including finance, government, healthcare, higher education, retail and energy. Transform security with Tenable, the creators of Nessus and leaders in continuous monitoring, by visiting tenable.com.
(410) 872-0555 x1559