In war, knowing your enemy is imperative to establishing an effective defensive strategy. The same holds true for effective IT security, and several excellent industry reports help inform IT security professionals on this front. The annual Data Breach Investigations Report from Verizon, for example, sheds considerable light on the evolving nature of cyberthreats, the actors behind them, and the techniques being used to perpetrate successful attacks.
The Cyberthreat Defense Report informs the IT security community in another, complementary way. Based on a rigorous survey of IT security decision makers and practitioners across North America and Europe, the Cyberthreat Defense Report examines the current and planned deployment of technological countermeasures against the backdrop of numerous perceptions, such as:
- The adequacy of existing cybersecurity investments, overall and within specific domains of IT
- The likelihood of being compromised by a successful cyberattack within the next 12 months
- The types of cyberthreats and cyberthreat sources that pose the greatest risk to a given organization
- The effectiveness of both traditional and next- generation/ advanced technologies for thwarting cyberthreats
- The organizational factors that represent the most significant barriers to establishing effective cyberthreat defenses
- The most valuable solution capabilities and packaging options