New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 9
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe SUSE Linux Enterprise 12 SP1 LTS kernel was updated to receive various security and bugfixes. The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2017-15649: net/packet/af_packet.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges via crafted system calls that trigger mishandling of packet_fanout data structures, because of a race condition (involving fanout_add and packet_do_bind) that leads to a use-after-free, a different vulnerability than CVE-2017-6346 (bnc#1064388).
- CVE-2017-13080: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA and WPA2) allowed reinstallation of the Group Temporal Key (GTK) during the group key handshake, allowing an attacker within radio range to replay frames from access points to clients (bnc#1063667).
- CVE-2017-15274: security/keys/keyctl.c in the Linux kernel did not consider the case of a NULL payload in conjunction with a nonzero length value, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and OOPS) via a crafted add_key or keyctl system call, a different vulnerability than CVE-2017-12192 (bnc#1045327).
- CVE-2017-15265: Use-after-free vulnerability in the Linux kernel allowed local users to have unspecified impact via vectors related to /dev/snd/seq (bnc#1062520).
- CVE-2017-1000365: The Linux Kernel imposes a size restriction on the arguments and environmental strings passed through RLIMIT_STACK/RLIM_INFINITY (1/4 of the size), but did not take the argument and environment pointers into account, which allowed attackers to bypass this limitation. (bnc#1039354).
- CVE-2017-12153: A security flaw was discovered in the nl80211_set_rekey_data() function in net/wireless/nl80211.c in the Linux kernel This function did not check whether the required attributes are present in a Netlink request. This request can be issued by a user with the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability and may result in a NULL pointer dereference and system crash (bnc#1058410).
- CVE-2017-12154: The prepare_vmcs02 function in arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c in the Linux kernel did not ensure that the 'CR8-load exiting' and 'CR8-store exiting' L0 vmcs02 controls exist in cases where L1 omits the 'use TPR shadow' vmcs12 control, which allowed KVM L2 guest OS users to obtain read and write access to the hardware CR8 register (bnc#1058507).
- CVE-2017-14106: The tcp_disconnect function in net/ipv4/tcp.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (__tcp_select_window divide-by-zero error and system crash) by triggering a disconnect within a certain tcp_recvmsg code path (bnc#1056982).
- CVE-2017-14140: The move_pages system call in mm/migrate.c in the Linux kernel doesn't check the effective uid of the target process, enabling a local attacker to learn the memory layout of a setuid executable despite ASLR (bnc#1057179).
- CVE-2017-14051: An integer overflow in the qla2x00_sysfs_write_optrom_ctl function in drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_attr.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (memory corruption and system crash) by leveraging root access (bnc#1056588).
- CVE-2017-10661: Race condition in fs/timerfd.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (list corruption or use-after-free) via simultaneous file-descriptor operations that leverage improper might_cancel queueing (bnc#1053152).
- CVE-2017-12762: In /drivers/isdn/i4l/isdn_net.c: A user-controlled buffer is copied into a local buffer of constant size using strcpy without a length check which can cause a buffer overflow. (bnc#1053148).
- CVE-2017-8831: The saa7164_bus_get function in drivers/media/pci/saa7164/saa7164-bus.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds array access) or possibly have unspecified other impact by changing a certain sequence-number value, aka a 'double fetch' vulnerability (bnc#1037994).
- CVE-2017-7482: A potential memory corruption was fixed in decoding of krb5 principals in the kernels kerberos handling. (bnc#1046107).
- CVE-2017-7542: The ip6_find_1stfragopt function in net/ipv6/output_core.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (integer overflow and infinite loop) by leveraging the ability to open a raw socket (bnc#1049882).
- CVE-2017-11176: The mq_notify function in the Linux kernel did not set the sock pointer to NULL upon entry into the retry logic. During a user-space close of a Netlink socket, it allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (use-after-free) or possibly have unspecified other impact (bnc#1048275).
- CVE-2017-7541: The brcmf_cfg80211_mgmt_tx function in drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/cfg8021 1.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (buffer overflow and system crash) or possibly gain privileges via a crafted NL80211_CMD_FRAME Netlink packet (bnc#1049645).
- CVE-2017-7518: The Linux kernel was vulnerable to an incorrect debug exception(#DB) error. It could occur while emulating a syscall instruction and potentially lead to guest privilege escalation. (bsc#1045922).
- CVE-2017-8924: The edge_bulk_in_callback function in drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain sensitive information (in the dmesg ringbuffer and syslog) from uninitialized kernel memory by using a crafted USB device (posing as an io_ti USB serial device) to trigger an integer underflow (bnc#1037182 bsc#1038982).
- CVE-2017-8925: The omninet_open function in drivers/usb/serial/omninet.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (tty exhaustion) by leveraging reference count mishandling (bnc#1037183 bsc#1038981).
- CVE-2017-1000380: sound/core/timer.c in the Linux kernel was vulnerable to a data race in the ALSA /dev/snd/timer driver resulting in local users being able to read information belonging to other users, i.e., uninitialized memory contents might have been disclosed when a read and an ioctl happen at the same time (bnc#1044125).
- CVE-2017-9242: The __ip6_append_data function in net/ipv6/ip6_output.c in the Linux kernel is too late in checking whether an overwrite of an skb data structure may occur, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) via crafted system calls (bnc#1041431).
- CVE-2017-1000363: Linux drivers/char/lp.c Out-of-Bounds Write. Due to a missing bounds check, and the fact that parport_ptr integer is static, a 'secure boot' kernel command line adversary (could happen due to bootloader vulns, e.g. Google Nexus 6's CVE-2016-10277, where due to a vulnerability the adversary has partial control over the command line) could overflow the parport_nr array in the following code, by appending many (>LP_NO) 'lp=none' arguments to the command line (bnc#1039456).
- CVE-2017-9076: The dccp_v6_request_recv_sock function in net/dccp/ipv6.c in the Linux kernel mishandled inheritance, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls, a related issue to CVE-2017-8890 (bnc#1039885).
- CVE-2017-9077: The tcp_v6_syn_recv_sock function in net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c in the Linux kernel mishandled inheritance, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls, a related issue to CVE-2017-8890 (bnc#1040069).
- CVE-2017-9075: The sctp_v6_create_accept_sk function in net/sctp/ipv6.c in the Linux kernel mishandled inheritance, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls, a related issue to CVE-2017-8890 (bnc#1039883).
- CVE-2017-9074: The IPv6 fragmentation implementation in the Linux kernel did not consider that the nexthdr field may be associated with an invalid option, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and BUG) or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted socket and send system calls (bnc#1039882).
- CVE-2017-7487: The ipxitf_ioctl function in net/ipx/af_ipx.c in the Linux kernel mishandled reference counts, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (use-after-free) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a failed SIOCGIFADDR ioctl call for an IPX interface (bnc#1038879).
- CVE-2017-8890: The inet_csk_clone_lock function in net/ipv4/inet_connection_sock.c in the Linux kernel allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (double free) or possibly have unspecified other impact by leveraging use of the accept system call (bnc#1038544).
- CVE-2017-7889: The mm subsystem in the Linux kernel did not properly enforce the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM protection mechanism, which allowed local users to read or write to kernel memory locations in the first megabyte (and bypass slab-allocation access restrictions) via an application that opens the /dev/mem file, related to arch/x86/mm/init.c and drivers/char/mem.c (bnc#1034405).
The following new features were implemented :
- the r8152 network driver was updated to support Realtek RTL8152/RTL8153 Based USB Ethernet Adapters (fate#321482)
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE OpenStack Cloud 6:zypper in -t patch SUSE-OpenStack-Cloud-6-2017-1799=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP 12-SP1:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SAP-12-SP1-2017-1799=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP1-LTSS:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2017-1799=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Public Cloud 12:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Public-Cloud-12-2017-1799=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.