SynopsisThe remote Windows host contains a mail client that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe installed version of Thunderbird is earlier than 16.0 and thus, is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- Several memory safety bugs exist in the browser engine used in Mozilla-based products that could be exploited to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2012-3983)
- '<select>' elements can be abused to cover arbitrary portions of a newly loaded page and may also be utilized for click-jacking attacks. (CVE-2012-3984, CVE-2012-5354)
- A violation in the HTML specification for 'document.domain' behavior can be abused, potentially leading to cross-site scripting attacks. (CVE-2012-3985)
- Some methods of a feature used for testing (DOMWindowUtils) are not properly protected and may be called through script by web pages. (CVE-2012-3986)
- A potentially exploitable denial of service may be caused by a combination of invoking full-screen mode and navigating backwards in history. (CVE-2012-3988)
- When the 'GetProperty' function is invoked through JSAP, security checking can by bypassed when getting cross- origin properties, potentially allowing arbitrary code execution. (CVE-2012-3991)
- The 'location' property can be accessed by binary plugins through 'top.location' and 'top' can be shadowed by 'Object.defineProperty', potentially allowing cross- site scripting attacks through plugins. (CVE-2012-3994)
- The Chrome Object Wrapper (COW) has flaws that could allow access to privileged functions, allowing for cross- site scripting attacks or arbitrary code execution.
- The 'location.hash' property is vulnerable to an attack that could allow an attacker to inject script or intercept post data. (CVE-2012-3992)
- The 'Address Sanitizer' tool is affected by multiple, potentially exploitable use-after-free flaws.
(CVE-2012-3990, CVE-2012-3995, CVE-2012-4179, CVE-2012-4180, CVE-2012-4181, CVE-2012-4182, CVE-2012-4183)
- The 'Address Sanitizer' tool is affected by multiple, potentially exploitable heap memory corruption issues.
(CVE-2012-4185, CVE-2012-4186, CVE-2012-4187, CVE-2012-4188)
SolutionUpgrade to Mozilla Thunderbird 16.0 or later.
File Name: mozilla_thunderbird_160.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:OF/RC:C
Required KB Items: Mozilla/Thunderbird/Version
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 10/9/2012
Vulnerability Publication Date: 10/9/2012
Metasploit (Firefox 5.0 - 15.0.1 __exposedProps__ XCS Code Execution)
CVE: CVE-2012-3982, CVE-2012-3983, CVE-2012-3984, CVE-2012-3985, CVE-2012-3986, CVE-2012-3988, CVE-2012-3989, CVE-2012-3990, CVE-2012-3991, CVE-2012-3992, CVE-2012-3993, CVE-2012-3994, CVE-2012-3995, CVE-2012-4179, CVE-2012-4180, CVE-2012-4181, CVE-2012-4182, CVE-2012-4183, CVE-2012-4184, CVE-2012-4185, CVE-2012-4186, CVE-2012-4187, CVE-2012-4188, CVE-2012-5354
BID: 55922, 55924, 55926, 55927, 55930, 55931, 55932, 56118, 56119, 56120, 56121, 56123, 56125, 56126, 56127, 56128, 56129, 56130, 56131, 56135, 56136, 56140, 56145, 57181
CWE: 20, 74, 79, 442, 629, 711, 712, 722, 725, 750, 751, 800, 801, 809, 811, 864, 900, 928, 931, 990