New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it is different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 8.4
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 kernel was updated to receive various security and bugfixes. The following new feature was added :
- NVDIMM memory error notification (ACPI 6.2) The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2018-13406: An integer overflow in the uvesafb_setcmap function could have result in local attackers being able to crash the kernel or potentially elevate privileges because kmalloc_array is not used (bnc#1100418)
- CVE-2018-13053: The alarm_timer_nsleep function had an integer overflow via a large relative timeout because ktime_add_safe was not used (bnc#1099924)
- CVE-2018-9385: Prevent overread of the 'driver_override' buffer (bsc#1100491)
- CVE-2018-13405: The inode_init_owner function allowed local users to create files with an unintended group ownership allowing attackers to escalate privileges by making a plain file executable and SGID (bnc#1100416)
- CVE-2017-5753: Systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and branch prediction may have allowed unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis (bsc#1068032)
- CVE-2018-1118: Linux kernel vhost did not properly initialize memory in messages passed between virtual guests and the host operating system. This could have allowed local privileged users to read some kernel memory contents when reading from the /dev/vhost-net device file (bsc#1092472)
- CVE-2018-12233: A memory corruption bug in JFS could have been triggered by calling setxattr twice with two different extended attribute names on the same file.
This vulnerability could be triggered by an unprivileged user with the ability to create files and execute programs (bsc#1097234)
- CVE-2018-5848: In the function wmi_set_ie(), the length validation code did not handle unsigned integer overflow properly. As a result, a large value of the 'ie_len' argument could have caused a buffer overflow (bnc#1097356)
- CVE-2018-1000204: Prevent infoleak caused by incorrect handling of the SG_IO ioctl (bsc#1096728)
- CVE-2018-3639: Systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and speculative execution of memory reads the addresses of all prior memory writes are known may have allowed unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access via a side-channel analysis, aka Speculative Store Bypass (SSB), Variant 4 (bsc#1087082)
- CVE-2018-1120: By mmap()ing a FUSE-backed file onto a process's memory containing command line arguments (or environment strings), an attacker could have caused utilities from psutils or procps (such as ps, w) to block indefinitely (denial of service) or for some controlled time (as a synchronization primitive for other attacks) (bsc#1093158)
- CVE-2018-1094: The ext4_fill_super function did not always initialize the crc32c checksum driver, which allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (ext4_xattr_inode_hash NULL pointer dereference and system crash) via a crafted ext4 image (bsc#1087007)
- CVE-2018-1092: The ext4_iget function mishandled the case of a root directory with a zero i_links_count, which allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (ext4_process_freed_data NULL pointer dereference and OOPS) via a crafted ext4 image (bsc#1087012)
- 1093: The ext4_valid_block_bitmap function allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and system crash) via a crafted ext4 image because balloc.c and ialloc.c do not validate bitmap block numbers (bsc#1087095)
- CVE-2018-1000200: Prevent NULL pointer dereference which could have resulted in an out of memory (OOM) killing of large mlocked processes (bsc#1090150)
- CVE-2018-1130: NULL pointer dereference in dccp_write_xmit() function that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service by a number of certain crafted system calls (bsc#1092904)
- CVE-2018-5803: Prevent error in the '_sctp_make_chunk()' function when handling SCTP packets length that could have been exploited to cause a kernel crash (bnc#1083900)
- CVE-2018-7492: Prevent NULL pointer dereference in the net/rds/rdma.c __rds_rdma_map() function that allowed local attackers to cause a system panic and a denial-of-service, related to RDS_GET_MR and RDS_GET_MR_FOR_DEST (bsc#1082962)
- CVE-2018-8781: The udl_fb_mmap function had an integer-overflow vulnerability allowing local users with access to the udldrmfb driver to obtain full read and write permissions on kernel physical pages, resulting in a code execution in kernel space (bsc#1090643)
- CVE-2018-10124: The kill_something_info function in kernel/signal.c might have allowed local users to cause a denial of service via an INT_MIN argument (bnc#1089752)
- CVE-2018-10087: The kernel_wait4 function in kernel/exit.c might have allowed local users to cause a denial of service by triggering an attempted use of the
-INT_MIN value (bnc#1089608)
- CVE-2017-5715: Prevent unauthorized disclosure of information to an attacker with local user access caused by speculative execution and indirect branch prediction (bsc#1068032)
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods like YaST online_update or 'zypper patch'.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Product-WE-15-2018-1420=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Live Patching 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Live-Patching-15-2018-1420=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Legacy Software 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Legacy-15-2018-1420=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Development Tools 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Development-Tools-15-2018-1420=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Module for Basesystem 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Module-Basesystem-15-2018-1420=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability 15:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-Product-HA-15-2018-1420=1