SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe openSUSE Leap 42.1 kernel was updated to 4.1.39 to receive various security and bugfixes.
The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2017-5669: The do_shmat function in ipc/shm.c in the Linux kernel did not restrict the address calculated by a certain rounding operation, which allowed local users to map page zero, and consequently bypass a protection mechanism that exists for the mmap system call, by making crafted shmget and shmat system calls in a privileged context (bnc#1026914).
- CVE-2017-6348: The hashbin_delete function in net/irda/irqueue.c in the Linux kernel improperly manages lock dropping, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (deadlock) via crafted operations on IrDA devices (bnc#1027178).
- CVE-2017-7184: The xfrm_replay_verify_len function in net/xfrm/xfrm_user.c in the Linux kernel did not validate certain size data after an XFRM_MSG_NEWAE update, which allowed local users to obtain root privileges or cause a denial of service (heap-based out-of-bounds access) by leveraging the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability, as demonstrated during a Pwn2Own competition at CanSecWest 2017 for the Ubuntu 16.10 linux-image-* package 184.108.40.206.52 (bnc#1030573).
- CVE-2016-10200: Race condition in the L2TPv3 IP Encapsulation feature in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (use-after-free) by making multiple bind system calls without properly ascertaining whether a socket has the SOCK_ZAPPED status, related to net/l2tp/l2tp_ip.c and net/l2tp/l2tp_ip6.c (bnc#1028415).
- CVE-2017-2636: Race condition in drivers/tty/n_hdlc.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (double free) by setting the HDLC line discipline (bnc#1027565).
- CVE-2017-6345: The LLC subsystem in the Linux kernel did not ensure that a certain destructor exists in required circumstances, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (BUG_ON) or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls (bnc#1027190).
- CVE-2017-6346: Race condition in net/packet/af_packet.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (use-after-free) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a multithreaded application that made PACKET_FANOUT setsockopt system calls (bnc#1027189).
- CVE-2017-6347: The ip_cmsg_recv_checksum function in net/ipv4/ip_sockglue.c in the Linux kernel has incorrect expectations about skb data layout, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (buffer over-read) or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls, as demonstrated by use of the MSG_MORE flag in conjunction with loopback UDP transmission (bnc#1027179).
- CVE-2017-6353: net/sctp/socket.c in the Linux kernel did not properly restrict association peel-off operations during certain wait states, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (invalid unlock and double free) via a multithreaded application. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of an incorrect fix for CVE-2017-5986 (bnc#1025235).
- CVE-2017-6214: The tcp_splice_read function in net/ipv4/tcp.c in the Linux kernel allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (infinite loop and soft lockup) via vectors involving a TCP packet with the URG flag (bnc#1026722).
- CVE-2016-2117: The atl2_probe function in drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl2.c in the Linux kernel incorrectly enables scatter/gather I/O, which allowed remote attackers to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory by reading packet data (bnc#968697).
- CVE-2016-10208: The ext4_fill_super function in fs/ext4/super.c in the Linux kernel did not properly validate meta block groups, which allowed physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and system crash) via a crafted ext4 image (bnc#1023377).
- CVE-2017-2596: The nested_vmx_check_vmptr function in arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c in the Linux kernel improperly emulates the VMXON instruction, which allowed KVM L1 guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS memory consumption) by leveraging the mishandling of page references (bnc#1022785).
- CVE-2017-2583: The load_segment_descriptor implementation in arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c in the Linux kernel improperly emulates a 'MOV SS, NULL selector' instruction, which allowed guest OS users to cause a denial of service (guest OS crash) or gain guest OS privileges via a crafted application (bnc#1020602).
- CVE-2017-2584: arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory or cause a denial of service (use-after-free) via a crafted application that leverages instruction emulation for fxrstor, fxsave, sgdt, and sidt (bnc#1019851).
The following non-security bugs were fixed :
- Fix kABI breakage of musb struct in 4.1.39 (stable 4.1.39).
- Revert 'ptrace: Capture the ptracer's creds not PT_PTRACE_CAP' (stable 4.1.39).
- ext4: fix fencepost in s_first_meta_bg validation (bsc#1029986).
- ext4: validate s_first_meta_bg at mount time (bsc#1023377).
- kabi/severities: Ignore x86/kvm kABI changes for 4.1.39
- l2tp: fix address test in __l2tp_ip6_bind_lookup() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: fix lookup for sockets not bound to a device in l2tp_ip (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: fix racy socket lookup in l2tp_ip and l2tp_ip6 bind() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: hold socket before dropping lock in l2tp_ip(, 6)_recv() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: lock socket before checking flags in connect() (bsc#1028415).
- mm/huge_memory.c: respect FOLL_FORCE/FOLL_COW for thp (bsc#1030118).
SolutionUpdate the affected the Linux Kernel packages.