New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 7.4
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe openSUSE Leap 42.1 kernel was updated to 4.1.39 to receive various security and bugfixes.
The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2017-5669: The do_shmat function in ipc/shm.c in the Linux kernel did not restrict the address calculated by a certain rounding operation, which allowed local users to map page zero, and consequently bypass a protection mechanism that exists for the mmap system call, by making crafted shmget and shmat system calls in a privileged context (bnc#1026914).
- CVE-2017-6348: The hashbin_delete function in net/irda/irqueue.c in the Linux kernel improperly manages lock dropping, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (deadlock) via crafted operations on IrDA devices (bnc#1027178).
- CVE-2017-7184: The xfrm_replay_verify_len function in net/xfrm/xfrm_user.c in the Linux kernel did not validate certain size data after an XFRM_MSG_NEWAE update, which allowed local users to obtain root privileges or cause a denial of service (heap-based out-of-bounds access) by leveraging the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability, as demonstrated during a Pwn2Own competition at CanSecWest 2017 for the Ubuntu 16.10 linux-image-* package 184.108.40.206.52 (bnc#1030573).
- CVE-2016-10200: Race condition in the L2TPv3 IP Encapsulation feature in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (use-after-free) by making multiple bind system calls without properly ascertaining whether a socket has the SOCK_ZAPPED status, related to net/l2tp/l2tp_ip.c and net/l2tp/l2tp_ip6.c (bnc#1028415).
- CVE-2017-2636: Race condition in drivers/tty/n_hdlc.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (double free) by setting the HDLC line discipline (bnc#1027565).
- CVE-2017-6345: The LLC subsystem in the Linux kernel did not ensure that a certain destructor exists in required circumstances, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (BUG_ON) or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls (bnc#1027190).
- CVE-2017-6346: Race condition in net/packet/af_packet.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (use-after-free) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a multithreaded application that made PACKET_FANOUT setsockopt system calls (bnc#1027189).
- CVE-2017-6347: The ip_cmsg_recv_checksum function in net/ipv4/ip_sockglue.c in the Linux kernel has incorrect expectations about skb data layout, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (buffer over-read) or possibly have unspecified other impact via crafted system calls, as demonstrated by use of the MSG_MORE flag in conjunction with loopback UDP transmission (bnc#1027179).
- CVE-2017-6353: net/sctp/socket.c in the Linux kernel did not properly restrict association peel-off operations during certain wait states, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (invalid unlock and double free) via a multithreaded application. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of an incorrect fix for CVE-2017-5986 (bnc#1025235).
- CVE-2017-6214: The tcp_splice_read function in net/ipv4/tcp.c in the Linux kernel allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (infinite loop and soft lockup) via vectors involving a TCP packet with the URG flag (bnc#1026722).
- CVE-2016-2117: The atl2_probe function in drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl2.c in the Linux kernel incorrectly enables scatter/gather I/O, which allowed remote attackers to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory by reading packet data (bnc#968697).
- CVE-2016-10208: The ext4_fill_super function in fs/ext4/super.c in the Linux kernel did not properly validate meta block groups, which allowed physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and system crash) via a crafted ext4 image (bnc#1023377).
- CVE-2017-2596: The nested_vmx_check_vmptr function in arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c in the Linux kernel improperly emulates the VMXON instruction, which allowed KVM L1 guest OS users to cause a denial of service (host OS memory consumption) by leveraging the mishandling of page references (bnc#1022785).
- CVE-2017-2583: The load_segment_descriptor implementation in arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c in the Linux kernel improperly emulates a 'MOV SS, NULL selector' instruction, which allowed guest OS users to cause a denial of service (guest OS crash) or gain guest OS privileges via a crafted application (bnc#1020602).
- CVE-2017-2584: arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory or cause a denial of service (use-after-free) via a crafted application that leverages instruction emulation for fxrstor, fxsave, sgdt, and sidt (bnc#1019851).
The following non-security bugs were fixed :
- Fix kABI breakage of musb struct in 4.1.39 (stable 4.1.39).
- Revert 'ptrace: Capture the ptracer's creds not PT_PTRACE_CAP' (stable 4.1.39).
- ext4: fix fencepost in s_first_meta_bg validation (bsc#1029986).
- ext4: validate s_first_meta_bg at mount time (bsc#1023377).
- kabi/severities: Ignore x86/kvm kABI changes for 4.1.39
- l2tp: fix address test in __l2tp_ip6_bind_lookup() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: fix lookup for sockets not bound to a device in l2tp_ip (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: fix racy socket lookup in l2tp_ip and l2tp_ip6 bind() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: hold socket before dropping lock in l2tp_ip(, 6)_recv() (bsc#1028415).
- l2tp: lock socket before checking flags in connect() (bsc#1028415).
- mm/huge_memory.c: respect FOLL_FORCE/FOLL_COW for thp (bsc#1030118).
SolutionUpdate the affected the Linux Kernel packages.