New! Plugin Severity Now Using CVSS v3
The calculated severity for Plugins has been updated to use CVSS v3 by default. Plugins that do not have a CVSS v3 score will fall back to CVSS v2 for calculating severity. Severity display preferences can be toggled in the settings dropdown.
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis update for ntp fixes the following issues :
- Update to 4.2.8p7 (boo#977446) :
- CVE-2016-1547, boo#977459: Validate crypto-NAKs, AKA:
- CVE-2016-1548, boo#977461: Interleave-pivot
- CVE-2016-1549, boo#977451: Sybil vulnerability:
ephemeral association attack.
- CVE-2016-1550, boo#977464: Improve NTP security against buffer comparison timing attacks.
- CVE-2016-1551, boo#977450: Refclock impersonation vulnerability
- CVE-2016-2516, boo#977452: Duplicate IPs on unconfig directives will cause an assertion botch in ntpd.
- CVE-2016-2517, boo#977455: remote configuration trustedkey/ requestkey/controlkey values are not properly validated.
- CVE-2016-2518, boo#977457: Crafted addpeer with hmode > 7 causes array wraparound with MATCH_ASSOC.
- CVE-2016-2519, boo#977458: ctl_getitem() return value not always checked.
- integrate ntp-fork.patch
- Improve the fixes for: CVE-2015-7704, CVE-2015-7705, CVE-2015-7974
- Restrict the parser in the startup script to the first occurrance of 'keys' and 'controlkey' in ntp.conf (boo#957226).
- Enable compile-time support for MS-SNTP (--enable-ntp-signd). This replaces the w32 patches in 4.2.4 that added the authreg directive. (fate#320758).
- Fix ntp-sntp-dst.patch (boo#975496).
- Call /usr/sbin/sntp with full path to synchronize in start-ntpd. When run as cron job, /usr/sbin/ is not in the path, which caused the synchronization to fail.
- Speedup ntpq (boo#782060, ntp-speedup-ntpq.patch).
- Sync service files with openSUSE Factory.
- Fix the TZ offset output of sntp during DST (boo#951559).
- Add ntp-fork.patch and build with threads disabled to allow name resolution even when running chrooted.
- Update to 4.2.8p6 :
- CVE-2015-8158, boo#962966: Potential Infinite Loop in ntpq.
- CVE-2015-8138, boo#963002: origin: Zero Origin Timestamp Bypass.
- CVE-2015-7979, boo#962784: Off-path Denial of Service (DoS) attack on authenticated broadcast mode.
- CVE-2015-7978, boo#963000: Stack exhaustion in recursive traversal of restriction list.
- CVE-2015-7977, boo#962970: reslist NULL pointer dereference.
- CVE-2015-7976, boo#962802: ntpq saveconfig command allows dangerous characters in filenames.
- CVE-2015-7975, boo#962988: nextvar() missing length check.
- CVE-2015-7974, boo#962960: Skeleton Key: Missing key check allows impersonation between authenticated peers.
- CVE-2015-7973, boo#962995: Deja Vu: Replay attack on authenticated broadcast mode.
- CVE-2015-8140: ntpq vulnerable to replay attacks.
- CVE-2015-8139: Origin Leak: ntpq and ntpdc, disclose origin.
- CVE-2015-5300, boo#951629: Small-step/Big-step.
- Add /var/db/ntp-kod (boo#916617).
- Add ntp-ENOBUFS.patch to limit a warning that might happen quite a lot on loaded systems (boo#956773).
- add ntp.bug2965.diff (boo#954982)
- fixes regression in 4.2.8p4 update
- Update to 4.2.8p4 to fix several security issues (boo#951608) :
- CVE-2015-7871: NAK to the Future: Symmetric association authentication bypass via crypto-NAK
- CVE-2015-7855: decodenetnum() will ASSERT botch instead of returning FAIL on some bogus values
- CVE-2015-7854: Password Length Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7853: Invalid length data provided by a custom refclock driver could cause a buffer overflow
- CVE-2015-7852 ntpq atoascii() Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7851 saveconfig Directory Traversal Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7850 remote config logfile-keyfile
- CVE-2015-7849 trusted key use-after-free
- CVE-2015-7848 mode 7 loop counter underrun
- CVE-2015-7701 Slow memory leak in CRYPTO_ASSOC
- CVE-2015-7703 configuration directives 'pidfile' and 'driftfile' should only be allowed locally
- CVE-2015-7704, CVE-2015-7705 Clients that receive a KoD should validate the origin timestamp field
- CVE-2015-7691, CVE-2015-7692, CVE-2015-7702 Incomplete autokey data packet length checks
- obsoletes ntp-memlock.patch.
- Add a controlkey line to /etc/ntp.conf if one does not already exist to allow runtime configuuration via ntpq.
- Temporarily disable memlock to avoid problems due to high memory usage during name resolution (boo#946386, ntp-memlock.patch).
- Use SHA1 instead of MD5 for symmetric keys (boo#905885).
- Improve runtime configuration :
- Read keytype from ntp.conf
- Don't write ntp keys to syslog.
- Fix legacy action scripts to pass on command line arguments.
- Remove ntp.1.gz, it wasn't installed anymore.
- Remove ntp-4.2.7-rh-manpages.tar.gz and only keep ntptime.8.gz. The rest is partially irrelevant, partially redundant and potentially outdated (boo#942587).
- Remove 'kod' from the restrict line in ntp.conf (boo#944300).
- Use ntpq instead of deprecated ntpdc in start-ntpd (boo#936327).
- Add a controlkey to ntp.conf to make the above work.
- Don't let 'keysdir' lines in ntp.conf trigger the 'keys' parser.
- Disable mode 7 (ntpdc) again, now that we don't use it anymore.
- Add 'addserver' as a new legacy action.
- Fix the comment regarding addserver in ntp.conf (boo#910063).
- Update to version 4.2.8p3 which incorporates all security fixes and most other patches we have so far (fate#319040). More information on:
- Disable chroot by default (boo#926510).
- Enable ntpdc for backwards compatibility (boo#920238).
- Security fix: ntp-keygen may generate non-random symmetric keys
SolutionUpdate the affected ntp packages.