New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6.7
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis update for ntp fixes the following issues :
- Update to 4.2.8p7 (boo#977446) :
- CVE-2016-1547, boo#977459: Validate crypto-NAKs, AKA:
- CVE-2016-1548, boo#977461: Interleave-pivot
- CVE-2016-1549, boo#977451: Sybil vulnerability:
ephemeral association attack.
- CVE-2016-1550, boo#977464: Improve NTP security against buffer comparison timing attacks.
- CVE-2016-1551, boo#977450: Refclock impersonation vulnerability
- CVE-2016-2516, boo#977452: Duplicate IPs on unconfig directives will cause an assertion botch in ntpd.
- CVE-2016-2517, boo#977455: remote configuration trustedkey/ requestkey/controlkey values are not properly validated.
- CVE-2016-2518, boo#977457: Crafted addpeer with hmode > 7 causes array wraparound with MATCH_ASSOC.
- CVE-2016-2519, boo#977458: ctl_getitem() return value not always checked.
- integrate ntp-fork.patch
- Improve the fixes for: CVE-2015-7704, CVE-2015-7705, CVE-2015-7974
- Restrict the parser in the startup script to the first occurrance of 'keys' and 'controlkey' in ntp.conf (boo#957226).
- Enable compile-time support for MS-SNTP (--enable-ntp-signd). This replaces the w32 patches in 4.2.4 that added the authreg directive. (fate#320758).
- Fix ntp-sntp-dst.patch (boo#975496).
- Call /usr/sbin/sntp with full path to synchronize in start-ntpd. When run as cron job, /usr/sbin/ is not in the path, which caused the synchronization to fail.
- Speedup ntpq (boo#782060, ntp-speedup-ntpq.patch).
- Sync service files with openSUSE Factory.
- Fix the TZ offset output of sntp during DST (boo#951559).
- Add ntp-fork.patch and build with threads disabled to allow name resolution even when running chrooted.
- Update to 4.2.8p6 :
- CVE-2015-8158, boo#962966: Potential Infinite Loop in ntpq.
- CVE-2015-8138, boo#963002: origin: Zero Origin Timestamp Bypass.
- CVE-2015-7979, boo#962784: Off-path Denial of Service (DoS) attack on authenticated broadcast mode.
- CVE-2015-7978, boo#963000: Stack exhaustion in recursive traversal of restriction list.
- CVE-2015-7977, boo#962970: reslist NULL pointer dereference.
- CVE-2015-7976, boo#962802: ntpq saveconfig command allows dangerous characters in filenames.
- CVE-2015-7975, boo#962988: nextvar() missing length check.
- CVE-2015-7974, boo#962960: Skeleton Key: Missing key check allows impersonation between authenticated peers.
- CVE-2015-7973, boo#962995: Deja Vu: Replay attack on authenticated broadcast mode.
- CVE-2015-8140: ntpq vulnerable to replay attacks.
- CVE-2015-8139: Origin Leak: ntpq and ntpdc, disclose origin.
- CVE-2015-5300, boo#951629: Small-step/Big-step.
- Add /var/db/ntp-kod (boo#916617).
- Add ntp-ENOBUFS.patch to limit a warning that might happen quite a lot on loaded systems (boo#956773).
- add ntp.bug2965.diff (boo#954982)
- fixes regression in 4.2.8p4 update
- Update to 4.2.8p4 to fix several security issues (boo#951608) :
- CVE-2015-7871: NAK to the Future: Symmetric association authentication bypass via crypto-NAK
- CVE-2015-7855: decodenetnum() will ASSERT botch instead of returning FAIL on some bogus values
- CVE-2015-7854: Password Length Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7853: Invalid length data provided by a custom refclock driver could cause a buffer overflow
- CVE-2015-7852 ntpq atoascii() Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7851 saveconfig Directory Traversal Vulnerability
- CVE-2015-7850 remote config logfile-keyfile
- CVE-2015-7849 trusted key use-after-free
- CVE-2015-7848 mode 7 loop counter underrun
- CVE-2015-7701 Slow memory leak in CRYPTO_ASSOC
- CVE-2015-7703 configuration directives 'pidfile' and 'driftfile' should only be allowed locally
- CVE-2015-7704, CVE-2015-7705 Clients that receive a KoD should validate the origin timestamp field
- CVE-2015-7691, CVE-2015-7692, CVE-2015-7702 Incomplete autokey data packet length checks
- obsoletes ntp-memlock.patch.
- Add a controlkey line to /etc/ntp.conf if one does not already exist to allow runtime configuuration via ntpq.
- Temporarily disable memlock to avoid problems due to high memory usage during name resolution (boo#946386, ntp-memlock.patch).
- Use SHA1 instead of MD5 for symmetric keys (boo#905885).
- Improve runtime configuration :
- Read keytype from ntp.conf
- Don't write ntp keys to syslog.
- Fix legacy action scripts to pass on command line arguments.
- Remove ntp.1.gz, it wasn't installed anymore.
- Remove ntp-4.2.7-rh-manpages.tar.gz and only keep ntptime.8.gz. The rest is partially irrelevant, partially redundant and potentially outdated (boo#942587).
- Remove 'kod' from the restrict line in ntp.conf (boo#944300).
- Use ntpq instead of deprecated ntpdc in start-ntpd (boo#936327).
- Add a controlkey to ntp.conf to make the above work.
- Don't let 'keysdir' lines in ntp.conf trigger the 'keys' parser.
- Disable mode 7 (ntpdc) again, now that we don't use it anymore.
- Add 'addserver' as a new legacy action.
- Fix the comment regarding addserver in ntp.conf (boo#910063).
- Update to version 4.2.8p3 which incorporates all security fixes and most other patches we have so far (fate#319040). More information on:
- Disable chroot by default (boo#926510).
- Enable ntpdc for backwards compatibility (boo#920238).
- Security fix: ntp-keygen may generate non-random symmetric keys
SolutionUpdate the affected ntp packages.