SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP4 kernel was updated to receive various security and bugfixes.
Following feature was added to kernel-xen :
- A improved XEN blkfront module was added, which allows more I/O bandwidth. (FATE#320200) It is called xen-blkfront in PV, and xen-vbd-upstream in HVM mode.
The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2013-7446: Use-after-free vulnerability in net/unix/af_unix.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to bypass intended AF_UNIX socket permissions or cause a denial of service (panic) via crafted epoll_ctl calls (bnc#955654).
- CVE-2015-7515: An out of bounds memory access in the aiptek USB driver could be used by physical local attackers to crash the kernel (bnc#956708).
- CVE-2015-7550: The keyctl_read_key function in security/keys/keyctl.c in the Linux kernel did not properly use a semaphore, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and system crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted application that leverages a race condition between keyctl_revoke and keyctl_read calls (bnc#958951).
- CVE-2015-8539: The KEYS subsystem in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (BUG) via crafted keyctl commands that negatively instantiate a key, related to security/keys/encrypted-keys/encrypted.c, security/keys/trusted.c, and security/keys/user_defined.c (bnc#958463).
- CVE-2015-8543: The networking implementation in the Linux kernel did not validate protocol identifiers for certain protocol families, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (NULL function pointer dereference and system crash) or possibly gain privileges by leveraging CLONE_NEWUSER support to execute a crafted SOCK_RAW application (bnc#958886).
- CVE-2015-8550: Compiler optimizations in the XEN PV backend drivers could have lead to double fetch vulnerabilities, causing denial of service or arbitrary code execution (depending on the configuration) (bsc#957988).
- CVE-2015-8551, CVE-2015-8552: xen/pciback: For XEN_PCI_OP_disable_msi[|x] only disable if device has MSI(X) enabled (bsc#957990).
- CVE-2015-8569: The (1) pptp_bind and (2) pptp_connect functions in drivers/net/ppp/pptp.c in the Linux kernel did not verify an address length, which allowed local users to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory and bypass the KASLR protection mechanism via a crafted application (bnc#959190).
- CVE-2015-8575: The sco_sock_bind function in net/bluetooth/sco.c in the Linux kernel did not verify an address length, which allowed local users to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory and bypass the KASLR protection mechanism via a crafted application (bnc#959190 bnc#959399).
- CVE-2015-8767: net/sctp/sm_sideeffect.c in the Linux kernel did not properly manage the relationship between a lock and a socket, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (deadlock) via a crafted sctp_accept call (bnc#961509).
- CVE-2015-8785: The fuse_fill_write_pages function in fs/fuse/file.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to cause a denial of service (infinite loop) via a writev system call that triggers a zero length for the first segment of an iov (bnc#963765).
- CVE-2015-8812: A use-after-free flaw was found in the CXGB3 kernel driver when the network was considered to be congested. This could be used by local attackers to cause machine crashes or potentially code execution (bsc#966437).
- CVE-2016-0723: Race condition in the tty_ioctl function in drivers/tty/tty_io.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain sensitive information from kernel memory or cause a denial of service (use-after-free and system crash) by making a TIOCGETD ioctl call during processing of a TIOCSETD ioctl call (bnc#961500).
- CVE-2016-2069: Race conditions in TLB syncing was fixed which could leak to information leaks (bnc#963767).
- CVE-2016-2384: Removed a double free in the ALSA usb-audio driver in the umidi object which could lead to crashes (bsc#966693).
- CVE-2016-2543: Added a missing NULL check at remove_events ioctl in ALSA that could lead to crashes.
- CVE-2016-2544, CVE-2016-2545, CVE-2016-2546, CVE-2016-2547, CVE-2016-2548, CVE-2016-2549: Various race conditions in ALSAs timer handling were fixed.
(bsc#967975, bsc#967974, bsc#967973, bsc#968011, bsc#968012, bsc#968013).
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch sdksp4-kernel-201603-12480=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch slessp4-kernel-201603-12480=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-EXTRA :
zypper in -t patch slexsp3-kernel-201603-12480=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch sledsp4-kernel-201603-12480=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Debuginfo 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch dbgsp4-kernel-201603-12480=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.