SynopsisThe remote Windows host contains a mail client that is potentially affected by several vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe installed version of Thunderbird is earlier than 15.0 and thus, is potentially affected by the following security issues :
- An error exists related to 'Object.defineProperty' and the location object that could allow cross-site scripting attacks. (CVE-2012-1956)
- Unspecified memory safety issues exist. (CVE-2012-1970, CVE-2012-1971)
- Multiple use-after-free errors exist. (CVE-2012-1972, CVE-2012-1973, CVE-2012-1974, CVE-2012-1975, CVE-2012-1976, CVE-2012-3956, CVE-2012-3957, CVE-2012-3958, CVE-2012-3959, CVE-2012-3960, CVE-2012-3961, CVE-2012-3962, CVE-2012-3963, CVE-2012-3964)
- An error exists related to bitmap (BMP) and icon (ICO) file decoding that can lead to memory corruption, causing application crashes and potentially arbitrary code execution. (CVE-2012-3966)
- A use-after-free error exists related to WebGL shaders.
- A buffer overflow exists related to SVG filters.
- A use-after-free error exists related to elements having 'requiredFeatures' attributes. (CVE-2012-3970)
- A 'Graphite 2' library memory corruption error exists.
- An XSLT out-of-bounds read error exists related to 'format-number'. (CVE-2012-3972)
- The installer can be tricked into running unauthorized executables. (CVE-2012-3974)
- The DOM parser can unintentionally load linked resources in extensions. (CVE-2012-3975)
- Security checks related to location objects can be bypassed if crafted calls are made to the browser chrome code. (CVE-2012-3978)
- Calling 'eval' in the web console can allow injected code to be executed with browser chrome privileges.
SolutionUpgrade to Thunderbird 15.0 or later.
File Name: mozilla_thunderbird_150.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Required KB Items: Mozilla/Thunderbird/Version
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 7/17/2012
Vulnerability Publication Date: 7/17/2012
CVE: CVE-2012-1956, CVE-2012-1970, CVE-2012-1971, CVE-2012-1972, CVE-2012-1973, CVE-2012-1974, CVE-2012-1975, CVE-2012-1976, CVE-2012-3956, CVE-2012-3957, CVE-2012-3958, CVE-2012-3959, CVE-2012-3960, CVE-2012-3961, CVE-2012-3962, CVE-2012-3963, CVE-2012-3964, CVE-2012-3966, CVE-2012-3968, CVE-2012-3969, CVE-2012-3970, CVE-2012-3971, CVE-2012-3972, CVE-2012-3974, CVE-2012-3975, CVE-2012-3978, CVE-2012-3980
BID: 55249, 55257, 55260, 55264, 55266, 55274, 55276, 55278, 55292, 55304, 55306, 55310, 55311, 55312, 55314, 55316, 55317, 55318, 55319, 55320, 55321, 55322, 55323, 55324, 55325, 55340, 55341, 55342
CWE: 20, 74, 79, 442, 629, 711, 712, 722, 725, 750, 751, 800, 801, 809, 811, 864, 900, 928, 931, 990