SynopsisThe remote SuSE 10 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis kernel update for the SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP3 kernel fixes several security issues and bugs.
The following security issues have been fixed :
- A signedness issue in CIFS could possibly have lead to to memory corruption, if a malicious server could send crafted replies to the host. (CVE-2011-3191)
- Timo Warns reported an issue in the Linux implementation for GUID partitions. Users with physical access could gain access to sensitive kernel memory by adding a storage device with a specially crafted corrupted invalid partition table. (CVE-2011-1776)
- The dccp_rcv_state_process function in net/dccp/input.c in the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) implementation in the Linux kernel did not properly handle packets for a CLOSED endpoint, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and OOPS) by sending a DCCP-Close packet followed by a DCCP-Reset packet. (CVE-2011-1093)
- Integer overflow in the agp_generic_insert_memory function in drivers/char/agp/generic.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (system crash) via a crafted AGPIOC_BIND agp_ioctl ioctl call. (CVE-2011-1745)
- Multiple integer overflows in the (1) agp_allocate_memory and (2) agp_create_user_memory functions in drivers/char/agp/generic.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to trigger buffer overflows, and consequently cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact, via vectors related to calls that specify a large number of memory pages. (CVE-2011-1746)
- The agp_generic_remove_memory function in drivers/char/agp/generic.c in the Linux kernel before 184.108.40.206 did not validate a certain start parameter, which allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (system crash) via a crafted AGPIOC_UNBIND agp_ioctl ioctl call, a different vulnerability than CVE-2011-1745. (CVE-2011-2022)
- The do_task_stat function in fs/proc/array.c in the Linux kernel did not perform an expected uid check, which made it easier for local users to defeat the ASLR protection mechanism by reading the start_code and end_code fields in the /proc/#####/stat file for a process executing a PIE binary. (CVE-2011-0726)
- The normal mmap paths all avoid creating a mapping where the pgoff inside the mapping could wrap around due to overflow. However, an expanding mremap() can take such a non-wrapping mapping and make it bigger and cause a wrapping condition. (CVE-2011-2496)
- A local unprivileged user able to access a NFS filesystem could use file locking to deadlock parts of an nfs server under some circumstance. (CVE-2011-2491)
- The code for evaluating LDM partitions (in fs/partitions/ldm.c) contained bugs that could crash the kernel for certain corrupted LDM partitions.
(CVE-2011-1017 / CVE-2011-2182)
- When using a setuid root mount.cifs, local users could hijack password protected mounted CIFS shares of other local users. (CVE-2011-1585)
Also following non-security bugs were fixed :
- patches.suse/fs-proc-vmcorec-add-hook-to-read_from_oldme m-to-check-for-non-ram-pages.patch: fs/proc/vmcore.c:
add hook to read_from_oldmem() to check for non-ram pages. (bnc#684297)
- patches.xen/1062-xenbus-dev-leak.patch: xenbus: Fix memory leak on release.
- patches.xen/1074-xenbus_conn-type.patch: xenbus: fix type inconsistency with xenbus_conn().
blkfront: fix data size for xenbus_gather in connect().
xenbus: fix xenbus_transaction_start() hang caused by double xenbus_transaction_end().
- patches.xen/1089-blkback-barrier-check.patch: blkback:
dont fail empty barrier requests.
- patches.xen/1091-xenbus-dev-no-BUG.patch: xenbus: dont BUG() on user mode induced conditions. (bnc#696107)
blkfront: avoid NULL de-reference in CDROM ioctl handling. (bnc#701355)
- patches.xen/1102-x86-max-contig-order.patch: x86: use dynamically adjusted upper bound for contiguous regions.
-values.patch: x86: sanitize user specified e820 memmap values. (bnc#665543)
-making-progress: Fix typo, which was uncovered in debug mode.
- patches.fixes/pacct-fix-sighand-siglock-usage.patch: Fix sighand->siglock usage in kernel/acct.c. (bnc#705463)
SolutionApply ZYPP patch number 7729.
File Name: suse_kernel-7729.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Patch Publication Date: 9/7/2011
CVE: CVE-2011-0726, CVE-2011-1017, CVE-2011-1093, CVE-2011-1585, CVE-2011-1745, CVE-2011-1746, CVE-2011-1776, CVE-2011-2022, CVE-2011-2182, CVE-2011-2491, CVE-2011-2496, CVE-2011-3191