SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote Redhat Enterprise Linux 9 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the RHSA-2023:2148 advisory.
- Some AMD CPUs may transiently execute beyond unconditional direct branches, which may potentially result in data leakage. (CVE-2021-26341)
- When sending malicous data to kernel by ioctl cmd FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO,kernel will write memory out of bounds. (CVE-2021-33655)
- An out-of-bounds read flaw was found in the Linux kernel's TeleTYpe subsystem. The issue occurs in how a user triggers a race condition using ioctls TIOCSPTLCK and TIOCGPTPEER and TIOCSTI and TCXONC with leakage of memory in the flush_to_ldisc function. This flaw allows a local user to crash the system or read unauthorized random data from memory. (CVE-2022-1462)
- With shadow paging enabled, the INVPCID instruction results in a call to kvm_mmu_invpcid_gva. If INVPCID is executed with CR0.PG=0, the invlpg callback is not set and the result is a NULL pointer dereference.
- A use-after-free flaw was found in the Linux kernel's pipes functionality in how a user performs manipulations with the pipe post_one_notification() after free_pipe_info() that is already called. This flaw allows a local user to crash or potentially escalate their privileges on the system. (CVE-2022-1882)
- In ip_check_mc_rcu of igmp.c, there is a possible use after free due to improper locking. This could lead to local escalation of privilege when opening and closing inet sockets with no additional execution privileges needed. User interaction is not needed for exploitation.Product: AndroidVersions: Android kernelAndroid ID: A-112551163References: Upstream kernel (CVE-2022-20141)
- AMD recommends using a software mitigation for this issue, which the kernel is enabling by default. The Linux kernel will use the generic retpoline software mitigation, instead of the specialized AMD one, on AMD instances (*5a*). This is done by default, and no administrator action is needed. (CVE-2021-26341) (CVE-2022-21505)
- A regression exists in the Linux Kernel within KVM: nVMX that allowed for speculative execution attacks.
L2 can carry out Spectre v2 attacks on L1 due to L1 thinking it doesn't need retpolines or IBPB after running L2 due to KVM (L0) advertising eIBRS support to L1. An attacker at L2 with code execution can execute code on an indirect branch on the host machine. We recommend upgrading to Kernel 6.2 or past commit 2e7eab81425a (CVE-2022-2196)
- An issue was found in the Linux kernel in nf_conntrack_irc where the message handling can be confused and incorrectly matches the message. A firewall may be able to be bypassed when users are using unencrypted IRC with nf_conntrack_irc configured. (CVE-2022-2663)
- usb_8dev_start_xmit in drivers/net/can/usb/usb_8dev.c in the Linux kernel through 5.17.1 has a double free. (CVE-2022-28388)
- A race condition was found in the Linux kernel's IP framework for transforming packets (XFRM subsystem) when multiple calls to xfrm_probe_algs occurred simultaneously. This flaw could allow a local attacker to potentially trigger an out-of-bounds write or leak kernel heap memory by performing an out-of-bounds read and copying it into a socket. (CVE-2022-3028)
- network backend may cause Linux netfront to use freed SKBs While adding logic to support XDP (eXpress Data Path), a code label was moved in a way allowing for SKBs having references (pointers) retained for further processing to nevertheless be freed. (CVE-2022-33743)
- A vulnerability classified as problematic has been found in Linux Kernel. This affects the function fib_nh_match of the file net/ipv4/fib_semantics.c of the component IPv4 Handler. The manipulation leads to out-of-bounds read. It is possible to initiate the attack remotely. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. The identifier VDB-210357 was assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3435)
- A vulnerability was found in Linux Kernel. It has been declared as problematic. Affected by this vulnerability is the function ipv6_renew_options of the component IPv6 Handler. The manipulation leads to memory leak. The attack can be launched remotely. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue.
The identifier VDB-211021 was assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3524)
- A vulnerability, which was classified as problematic, was found in Linux Kernel. This affects the function tcp_getsockopt/tcp_setsockopt of the component TCP Handler. The manipulation leads to race condition. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. The identifier VDB-211089 was assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3566)
- A vulnerability has been found in Linux Kernel and classified as problematic. This vulnerability affects the function inet6_stream_ops/inet6_dgram_ops of the component IPv6 Handler. The manipulation leads to race condition. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. VDB-211090 is the identifier assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3567)
- A vulnerability has been found in Linux Kernel and classified as problematic. This vulnerability affects the function l2cap_recv_acldata of the file net/bluetooth/l2cap_core.c of the component Bluetooth. The manipulation leads to memory leak. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. VDB-211918 is the identifier assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3619)
- A vulnerability was found in Linux Kernel. It has been declared as problematic. Affected by this vulnerability is the function follow_page_pte of the file mm/gup.c of the component BPF. The manipulation leads to race condition. The attack can be launched remotely. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. The identifier VDB-211921 was assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3623)
- A vulnerability was found in Linux Kernel. It has been classified as critical. This affects the function devlink_param_set/devlink_param_get of the file net/core/devlink.c of the component IPsec. The manipulation leads to use after free. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. The identifier VDB-211929 was assigned to this vulnerability. (CVE-2022-3625)
- A buffer overflow flaw was found in the Linux kernel Broadcom Full MAC Wi-Fi driver. This issue occurs when a user connects to a malicious USB device. This can allow a local user to crash the system or escalate their privileges. (CVE-2022-3628)
- A vulnerability, which was classified as critical, was found in Linux Kernel. Affected is the function l2cap_conn_del of the file net/bluetooth/l2cap_core.c of the component Bluetooth. The manipulation leads to use after free. It is recommended to apply a patch to fix this issue. The identifier of this vulnerability is VDB-211944. (CVE-2022-3640)
- A double-free memory flaw was found in the Linux kernel. The Intel GVT-g graphics driver triggers VGA card system resource overload, causing a fail in the intel_gvt_dma_map_guest_page function. This issue could allow a local user to crash the system. (CVE-2022-3707)
- An issue was discovered in include/asm-generic/tlb.h in the Linux kernel before 5.19. Because of a race condition (unmap_mapping_range versus munmap), a device driver can free a page while it still has stale TLB entries. This only occurs in situations with VM_PFNMAP VMAs. (CVE-2022-39188)
- An issue was discovered the x86 KVM subsystem in the Linux kernel before 5.18.17. Unprivileged guest users can compromise the guest kernel because TLB flush operations are mishandled in certain KVM_VCPU_PREEMPTED situations. (CVE-2022-39189)
- A NULL pointer dereference issue was discovered in the Linux kernel in the MPTCP protocol when traversing the subflow list at disconnect time. A local user could use this flaw to potentially crash the system causing a denial of service. (CVE-2022-4128)
- A flaw was found in the Linux kernel's Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). A missing lock when clearing sk_user_data can lead to a race condition and NULL pointer dereference. A local user could use this flaw to potentially crash the system causing a denial of service. (CVE-2022-4129)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.19.16. Attackers able to inject WLAN frames could cause a buffer overflow in the ieee80211_bss_info_update function in net/mac80211/scan.c. (CVE-2022-41674)
- mm/rmap.c in the Linux kernel before 5.19.7 has a use-after-free related to leaf anon_vma double reuse.
- Various refcounting bugs in the multi-BSS handling in the mac80211 stack in the Linux kernel 5.1 through 5.19.x before 5.19.16 could be used by local attackers (able to inject WLAN frames) to trigger use-after- free conditions to potentially execute code. (CVE-2022-42720)
- A list management bug in BSS handling in the mac80211 stack in the Linux kernel 5.1 through 5.19.x before 5.19.16 could be used by local attackers (able to inject WLAN frames) to corrupt a linked list and, in turn, potentially execute code. (CVE-2022-42721)
- In the Linux kernel 5.8 through 5.19.x before 5.19.16, local attackers able to inject WLAN frames into the mac80211 stack could cause a NULL pointer dereference denial-of-service attack against the beacon protection of P2P devices. (CVE-2022-42722)
- There are use-after-free vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel's net/bluetooth/l2cap_core.c's l2cap_connect and l2cap_le_connect_req functions which may allow code execution and leaking kernel memory (respectively) remotely via Bluetooth. A remote attacker could execute code leaking kernel memory via Bluetooth if within proximity of the victim. We recommend upgrading past commit https://www.google.com/url https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/711f8c3fb3db61897080468586b970c87c61d9e4 https://www.google.com/url (CVE-2022-42896)
- drivers/usb/mon/mon_bin.c in usbmon in the Linux kernel before 5.19.15 and 6.x before 6.0.1 allows a user- space client to corrupt the monitor's internal memory. (CVE-2022-43750)
- In the Linux kernel before 6.1.6, a NULL pointer dereference bug in the traffic control subsystem allows an unprivileged user to trigger a denial of service (system crash) via a crafted traffic control configuration that is set up with tc qdisc and tc class commands. This affects qdisc_graft in net/sched/sch_api.c. (CVE-2022-47929)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in rawv6_push_pending_frames in net/ipv6/raw.c in the network subcomponent in the Linux kernel. This flaw causes the system to crash. (CVE-2023-0394)
- There is a use-after-free vulnerability in the Linux Kernel which can be exploited to achieve local privilege escalation. To reach the vulnerability kernel configuration flag CONFIG_TLS or CONFIG_XFRM_ESPINTCP has to be configured, but the operation does not require any privilege. There is a use-after-free bug of icsk_ulp_data of a struct inet_connection_sock. When CONFIG_TLS is enabled, user can install a tls context (struct tls_context) on a connected tcp socket. The context is not cleared if this socket is disconnected and reused as a listener. If a new socket is created from the listener, the context is inherited and vulnerable. The setsockopt TCP_ULP operation does not require any privilege. We recommend upgrading past commit 2c02d41d71f90a5168391b6a5f2954112ba2307c (CVE-2023-0461)
- A use-after-free flaw was found in qdisc_graft in net/sched/sch_api.c in the Linux Kernel due to a race problem. This flaw leads to a denial of service issue. If patch ebda44da44f6 (net: sched: fix race condition in qdisc_graft()) not applied yet, then kernel could be affected. (CVE-2023-0590)
- A data race flaw was found in the Linux kernel, between where con is allocated and con->sock is set. This issue leads to a NULL pointer dereference when accessing con->sock->sk in net/tipc/topsrv.c in the tipc protocol in the Linux kernel. (CVE-2023-1382)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.
File Name: redhat-RHSA-2023-2148.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Nessus Agent, Agentless Assessment
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:P/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:9, cpe:/o:redhat:rhel_eus:9.2, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-core, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-core, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-devel, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-kvm, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-modules, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-modules-core, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-debug-modules-extra, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-devel, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-kvm, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-modules, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-modules-core, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:kernel-rt-modules-extra
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/RedHat/release, Host/RedHat/rpm-list, Host/cpu
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 5/9/2023
Vulnerability Publication Date: 9/30/2021
CVE: CVE-2021-26341, CVE-2021-33655, CVE-2022-1462, CVE-2022-1789, CVE-2022-1882, CVE-2022-20141, CVE-2022-21505, CVE-2022-2196, CVE-2022-2663, CVE-2022-28388, CVE-2022-3028, CVE-2022-33743, CVE-2022-3435, CVE-2022-3522, CVE-2022-3524, CVE-2022-3566, CVE-2022-3567, CVE-2022-3619, CVE-2022-3623, CVE-2022-3625, CVE-2022-3628, CVE-2022-3640, CVE-2022-3707, CVE-2022-39188, CVE-2022-39189, CVE-2022-4128, CVE-2022-4129, CVE-2022-41674, CVE-2022-42703, CVE-2022-42720, CVE-2022-42721, CVE-2022-42722, CVE-2022-42896, CVE-2022-43750, CVE-2022-47929, CVE-2023-0394, CVE-2023-0461, CVE-2023-0590, CVE-2023-1195, CVE-2023-1382
CWE: 1188, 119, 120, 123, 125, 20, 305, 362, 366, 401, 415, 416, 421, 440, 459, 476, 552, 667, 668, 705, 787, 923