New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6.7
SynopsisThe remote machine is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe remote NewStart CGSL host, running version CORE 5.05 / MAIN 5.05, has libtiff packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities:
- Buffer overflow in the readextension function in gif2tiff.c in LibTIFF 4.0.6 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a crafted GIF file. (CVE-2016-3186)
- Heap-based buffer overflow in the cpSeparateBufToContigBuf function in tiffcp.c in LibTIFF 4.0.9 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted TIFF file. (CVE-2018-12900)
- The TIFFWriteDirectorySec() function in tif_dirwrite.c in LibTIFF through 4.0.9 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (assertion failure and application crash) via a crafted file, a different vulnerability than CVE-2017-13726. (CVE-2018-10963)
- TIFFWriteScanline in tif_write.c in LibTIFF 3.8.2 has a heap-based buffer over-read, as demonstrated by bmp2tiff. (CVE-2018-10779)
- In LibTIFF 4.0.9, a heap-based buffer overflow occurs in the function LZWDecodeCompat in tif_lzw.c via a crafted TIFF file, as demonstrated by tiff2ps. (CVE-2018-8905)
- A NULL Pointer Dereference occurs in the function TIFFPrintDirectory in tif_print.c in LibTIFF 4.0.9 when using the tiffinfo tool to print crafted TIFF information, a different vulnerability than CVE-2017-18013. (This affects an earlier part of the TIFFPrintDirectory function that was not addressed by the CVE-2017-18013 patch.) (CVE-2018-7456)
- An issue was discovered in LibTIFF 4.0.9. There is a int32 overflow in multiply_ms in tools/ppm2tiff.c, which can cause a denial of service (crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted image file.
- An issue was discovered in LibTIFF 4.0.9. There are two out-of-bounds writes in cpTags in tools/tiff2bw.c and tools/pal2rgb.c, which can cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted image file. (CVE-2018-17101)
- LibTIFF 4.0.9 (with JBIG enabled) decodes arbitrarily- sized JBIG into a buffer, ignoring the buffer size, which leads to a tif_jbig.c JBIGDecode out-of-bounds write. (CVE-2018-18557)
- An issue was discovered in LibTIFF 4.0.9. There is a NULL pointer dereference in the function LZWDecode in the file tif_lzw.c. (CVE-2018-18661)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade the vulnerable CGSL libtiff packages. Note that updated packages may not be available yet. Please contact ZTE for more information.