openSUSE Security Update : procps (openSUSE-2019-2376)
High Nessus Plugin ID 130333
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis update for procps fixes the following issues :
procps was updated to 3.3.15. (bsc#1092100)
Following security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2018-1122: Prevent local privilege escalation in top. If a user ran top with HOME unset in an attacker-controlled directory, the attacker could have achieved privilege escalation by exploiting one of several vulnerabilities in the config_file() function (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1123: Prevent denial of service in ps via mmap buffer overflow. Inbuilt protection in ps maped a guard page at the end of the overflowed buffer, ensuring that the impact of this flaw is limited to a crash (temporary denial of service) (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1124: Prevent multiple integer overflows leading to a heap corruption in file2strvec function.
This allowed a privilege escalation for a local attacker who can create entries in procfs by starting processes, which could result in crashes or arbitrary code execution in proc utilities run by other users (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1125: Prevent stack-based buffer overflow in pgrep. This vulnerability was mitigated by FORTIFY limiting the impact to a crash (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1126: Ensure correct integer size in proc/alloc.* to prevent truncation/integer overflow issues (bsc#1092100).
Also this non-security issue was fixed :
- Fix CPU summary showing old data. (bsc#1121753)
The update to 3.3.15 contains the following fixes :
- library: Increment to 8:0:1 No removals, no new functions Changes: slab and pid structures
- library: Just check for SIGLOST and don't delete it
- library: Fix integer overflow and LPE in file2strvec CVE-2018-1124
- library: Use size_t for alloc functions CVE-2018-1126
- library: Increase comm size to 64
- pgrep: Fix stack-based buffer overflow CVE-2018-1125
- pgrep: Remove >15 warning as comm can be longer
- ps: Fix buffer overflow in output buffer, causing DOS CVE-2018-1123
- ps: Increase command name selection field to 64
- top: Don't use cwd for location of config CVE-2018-1122
- update translations
- library: build on non-glibc systems
- free: fix scaling on 32-bit systems
- Revert 'Support running with child namespaces'
- library: Increment to 7:0:1 No changes, no removals New fuctions: numa_init, numa_max_node, numa_node_of_cpu, numa_uninit, xalloc_err_handler
- doc: Document I idle state in ps.1 and top.1
- free: fix some of the SI multiples
- kill: -l space between name parses correctly
- library: dont use vm_min_free on non Linux
- library: don't strip off wchan prefixes (ps & top)
- pgrep: warn about 15+ char name only if -f not used
- pgrep/pkill: only match in same namespace by default
- pidof: specify separator between pids
- pkill: Return 0 only if we can kill process
- pmap: fix duplicate output line under '-x' option
- ps: avoid eip/esp address truncations
- ps: recognizes SCHED_DEADLINE as valid CPU scheduler
- ps: display NUMA node under which a thread ran
- ps: Add seconds display for cputime and time
- ps: Add LUID field
- sysctl: Permit empty string for value
- sysctl: Don't segv when file not available
- sysctl: Read and write large buffers
- top: add config file support for XDG specification
- top: eliminated minor libnuma memory leak
- top: show fewer memory decimal places (configurable)
- top: provide command line switch for memory scaling
- top: provide command line switch for CPU States
- top: provides more accurate cpu usage at startup
- top: display NUMA node under which a thread ran
- top: fix argument parsing quirk resulting in SEGV
- top: delay interval accepts non-locale radix point
- top: address a wishlist man page NLS suggestion
- top: fix potential distortion in 'Mem' graph display
- top: provide proper multi-byte string handling
- top: startup defaults are fully customizable
- watch: define HOST_NAME_MAX where not defined
- vmstat: Fix alignment for disk partition format
- watch: Support ANSI 39,49 reset sequences
This update was imported from the SUSE:SLE-15:Update update project.
SolutionUpdate the affected procps packages.