SUSE SLED12 / SLES12 Security Update : procps (SUSE-SU-2018:1836-1)
High Nessus Plugin ID 110804
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for procps fixes the following security issues :
- CVE-2018-1122: Prevent local privilege escalation in top. If a user ran top with HOME unset in an attacker-controlled directory, the attacker could have achieved privilege escalation by exploiting one of several vulnerabilities in the config_file() function (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1123: Prevent denial of service in ps via mmap buffer overflow. Inbuilt protection in ps maped a guard page at the end of the overflowed buffer, ensuring that the impact of this flaw is limited to a crash (temporary denial of service) (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1124: Prevent multiple integer overflows leading to a heap corruption in file2strvec function.
This allowed a privilege escalation for a local attacker who can create entries in procfs by starting processes, which could result in crashes or arbitrary code execution in proc utilities run by other users (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1125: Prevent stack-based buffer overflow in pgrep. This vulnerability was mitigated by FORTIFY limiting the impact to a crash (bsc#1092100).
- CVE-2018-1126: Ensure correct integer size in proc/alloc.* to prevent truncation/integer overflow issues (bsc#1092100).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use the SUSE recommended installation methods like YaST online_update or 'zypper patch'.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP3-2018-1242=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP3-2018-1242=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP3-2018-1242=1
SUSE CaaS Platform ALL :
To install this update, use the SUSE CaaS Platform Velum dashboard. It will inform you if it detects new updates and let you then trigger updating of the complete cluster in a controlled way.
OpenStack Cloud Magnum Orchestration 7:zypper in -t patch SUSE-OpenStack-Cloud-Magnum-Orchestration-7-2018-1242=1