SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe GNU file utility was updated to version 5.22. Security issues fixed :
- CVE-2014-9621: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a long string. (bsc#913650)
- CVE-2014-9620: The ELF parser in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service via a large number of notes. (bsc#913651)
- CVE-2014-9653: readelf.c in file did not consider that pread calls sometimes read only a subset of the available data, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (uninitialized memory access) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted ELF file. (bsc#917152)
- CVE-2014-8116: The ELF parser (readelf.c) in file allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via a large number of (1) program or (2) section headers or (3) invalid capabilities. (bsc#910253)
- CVE-2014-8117: softmagic.c in file did not properly limit recursion, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption or crash) via unspecified vectors. (bsc#910253) Version update to file version 5.22
- add indirect relative for TIFF/Exif
- restructure elf note printing to avoid repeated messages
- add note limit, suggested by Alexander Cherepanov
- Bail out on partial pread()'s (Alexander Cherepanov)
- Fix incorrect bounds check in file_printable (Alexander Cherepanov)
- PR/405: ignore SIGPIPE from uncompress programs
- change printable -> file_printable and use it in more places for safety
- in ELF, instead of '(uses dynamic libraries)' when PT_INTERP is present print the interpreter name. Version update to file version 5.21
- there was an incorrect free in magic_load_buffers()
- there was an out of bounds read for some pascal strings
- there was a memory leak in magic lists
- don't interpret strings printed from files using the current locale, convert them to ascii format first.
- there was an out of bounds read in elf note reads Update to file version 5.20
- recognize encrypted CDF documents
- add magic_load_buffers from Brooks Davis
- add thumbs.db support
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP3-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-SP2-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for Raspberry Pi 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-RPI-12-SP2-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP3-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP3:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP3-2017-1881=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12-SP2:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-SP2-2017-1881=1
SUSE Container as a Service Platform ALL:zypper in -t patch SUSE-CAASP-ALL-2017-1881=1
OpenStack Cloud Magnum Orchestration 7:zypper in -t patch SUSE-OpenStack-Cloud-Magnum-Orchestration-7-2017-1881=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.