Apache Tomcat 6.x < 6.0.47 / 7.x < 7.0.72 / 8.x < 8.0.37 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Medium Nessus Network Monitor Plugin ID 9723
SynopsisThe remote web server is missing an Apache Tomcat patch update.
DescriptionThe version of Apache Tomcat installed on the remote host is version 6.x prior to 6.0.47, 7.x prior to 6.0.72, or 8.x prior to 8.0.37, and is therefore affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A flaw exists in the SecurityManager as access to system properties is not properly restricted for the configuration files system property replacement feature. This may allow a malicious web application to bypass SecurityManager restrictions and disclose system properties.
- An unspecified flaw exists related to web applications that may allow a local attacker to bypass a configured SecurityManager via a utility method that is accessible to web applications. No further details have been provided.
- A flaw exists that is triggered as passwords are not processed when paired with a non-existent username. This may allow a remote attacker to enumerate user account names via a timing attack.
- A flaw exists that may allow a local attacker to use a specially crafted web application to bypass a configured SecurityManager by changing the configuration parameters for the JSP Servlet.
- A flaw exists that is triggered as the program fails to limit web application access to global JNDI resources. This may allow a local attacker to gain unauthorized access to resources.
SolutionUpdate to Apache Tomcat version 8.0.37 or later. If version 8.x cannot be obtained, versions 7.0.72 and 6.0.47 have also been patched for these vulnerabilities.