Apache Tomcat 6.0.x < 6.0.47 / 7.0.x < 7.0.72 / 8.0.x < 8.0.37 / 8.5.x < 8.5.5 / 9.0.x < 9.0.0.M10 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 94578
SynopsisThe remote Apache Tomcat server is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its self-reported version number, the Apache Tomcat service running on the remote host is 6.0.x prior to 6.0.47, 7.0.x prior to 7.0.72, 8.0.x prior to 8.0.37, 8.5.x prior to 8.5.5 or 9.0.x prior to 9.0.0.M10. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- An information disclosure vulnerability exists due to a failure to process passwords when paired with a non-existent username. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a timing attack, to enumerate user account names. (CVE-2016-0762)
- A security bypass vulnerability exists that allows a local attacker to bypass a configured SecurityManager via a utility method that is accessible to web applications. (CVE-2016-5018)
- An information disclosure vulnerability exists in the SecurityManager component due to a failure to properly restrict access to system properties for the configuration files system property replacement feature.
An attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted web application, to bypass SecurityManager restrictions and disclose system properties. (CVE-2016-6794)
- A security bypass vulnerability exists that allows a local attacker to bypass a configured SecurityManager by changing the configuration parameters for a JSP servlet.
- A security bypass vulnerability exists due to a failure to limit web application access to global JNDI resources. A local attacker can exploit this to gain unauthorized access to resources. (CVE-2016-6797)
Note that Nessus has not attempted to exploit these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Apache Tomcat version 6.0.47 / 7.0.72 / 8.0.37 / 8.5.5 / 9.0.0.M10 or later. Note that versions 6.0.46 and 7.0.71 also resolve the vulnerabilities; however, these versions were never officially released by the vendor.