SUSE SLES12 Security Update : xen (SUSE-SU-2017:1148-1)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 99963
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for xen fixes several issues. These security issues were fixed :
- CVE-2017-7980: An out-of-bounds r/w access issues in the Cirrus CLGD 54xx VGA Emulator support allowed privileged user inside guest to use this flaw to crash the Qemu process resulting in DoS or potentially execute arbitrary code on a host with privileges of Qemu process on the host (bsc#1035483).
- A malicious 64-bit PV guest may be able to access all of system memory, allowing for all of privilege escalation, host crashes, and information leaks by placing a IRET hypercall in the middle of a multicall batch (XSA-213, bsc#1034843)
- A malicious pair of guests may be able to access all of system memory, allowing for all of privilege escalation, host crashes, and information leaks because of a missing check when transfering pages via GNTTABOP_transfer (XSA-214, bsc#1034844).
- Incorrect checks when handling exceptions allowed a malicious or buggy 64-bit PV guest to modify part of a physical memory page not belonging to it, potentially allowing for all of privilege escalation, host or other guest crashes, and information leaks (XSA-215, bsc#1034845)
- CVE-2017-7718: hw/display/cirrus_vga_rop.h allowed local guest OS privileged users to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds read and QEMU process crash) via vectors related to copying VGA data via the cirrus_bitblt_rop_fwd_transp_ and cirrus_bitblt_rop_fwd_ functions (bsc#1034994).
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP 12:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SAP-12-2017-665=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-LTSS:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-2017-665=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.