openSUSE Security Update : pidgin (openSUSE-2017-457)
High Nessus Plugin ID 99295
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis update for pidgin to version 2.12.0 fixes the following issues :
This security issue was fixed :
- CVE-2017-2640: Out of bounds memory read in purple_markup_unescape_entity (boo#1028835).
These non-security issues were fixed :
+ libpurple :
- Fix the use of uninitialised memory if running non-debug-enabled versions of glib.
- Update AIM dev and dist ID's to new ones that were assigned by AOL.
- TLS certificate verification now uses SHA-256 checksums.
- Fix the SASL external auth for Freenode (boo#1009974).
- Remove the MSN protocol plugin. It has been unusable and dormant for some time.
- Remove the Mxit protocol plugin. The service was closed at the end ofSeptember 2016.
- Remove the MySpaceIM protocol plugin. The service has been defunct for a long time (pidgin.im#15356).
- Remove the Yahoo! protocol plugin. Yahoo has completely reimplemented their protocol, so this version is no longer operable as of August 5th, 2016.
- Remove the Facebook (XMPP) account option. According to https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat the XMPP Chat API service ended April 30th, 2015.
- Fix gnutls certificate validation errors that mainly affected Google.
+ General :
- Replace instances of d.pidgin.im with developer.pidgin.im and update the urls to use https (pidgin.im#17036).
+ IRC :
- Fix an issue of messages being silently cut off at 500 characters. Large messages are now split into parts and sent one by one (pidgin.im#4753).
SolutionUpdate the affected pidgin packages.