New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6.7
SynopsisThe remote macOS or Mac OS X host contains a mail client that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Mozilla Thunderbird installed on the remote macOS or Mac OS X host is prior to 45.8. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities :
- Mozilla developers and community members Boris Zbarsky, Christian Holler, Honza Bambas, Jon Coppeard, Randell Jesup, Andre Bargull, Kan-Ru Chen, and Nathan Froyd reported memory safety bugs present in Thunderbird 45.7. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption, and we presume that with enough effort that some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code.
- JIT-spray targeting asm.js combined with a heap spray allows for a bypass of ASLR and DEP protections leading to potential memory corruption attacks. (CVE-2017-5400)
- A crash triggerable by web content in which an ErrorResult references unassigned memory due to a logic error. The resulting crash may be exploitable.
- A use-after-free can occur when events are fired for a FontFace object after the object has been already been destroyed while working with fonts. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2017-5402)
- A use-after-free error can occur when manipulating ranges in selections with one node inside a native anonymous tree and one node outside of it. This results in a potentially exploitable crash. (CVE-2017-5404)
- Certain response codes in FTP connections can result in the use of uninitialized values for ports in FTP operations. (CVE-2017-5405)
- Using SVG filters that don't use the fixed point math implementation on a target iframe, a malicious page can extract pixel values from a targeted user. This can be used to extract history information and read text values across domains. This violates same-origin policy and leads to information disclosure. (CVE-2017-5407)
- Video files loaded video captions cross-origin without checking for the presence of CORS headers permitting such cross-origin use, leading to potential information disclosure for video captions. (CVE-2017-5408)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the Mozilla security advisories.
Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpgrade to Mozilla Thunderbird version 45.8 or later.