SynopsisThe remote macOS or Mac OS X host contains a web browser that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Mozilla Firefox ESR installed on the remote macOS or Mac OS X host is 45.x prior to 45.7. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- Mozilla developers and community members Christian Holler, Gary Kwong, Andre Bargull, Jan de Mooij, Tom Schuster, and Oriol reported memory safety bugs present in Firefox 50.1 and Firefox ESR 45.6. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption and we presume that with enough effort that some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code.
- JIT code allocation can allow for a bypass of ASLR and DEP protections leading to potential memory corruption attacks. (CVE-2017-5375)
- Use-after-free while manipulating XSL in XSLT documents (CVE-2017-5376)
- A potential use-after-free found through fuzzing during DOM manipulation of SVG content. (CVE-2017-5380)
- URLs containing certain unicode glyphs for alternative hyphens and quotes do not properly trigger punycode display, allowing for domain name spoofing attacks in the location bar. (CVE-2017-5383)
- WebExtension scripts can use the 'data:' protocol to affect pages loaded by other web extensions using this protocol, leading to potential data disclosure or privilege escalation in affected extensions.
- The JSON viewer in the Developer Tools uses insecure methods to create a communication channel for copying and viewing JSON or HTTP headers data, allowing for potential privilege escalation. (CVE-2017-5390)
- A use-after-free vulnerability in the Media Decoder when working with media files when some events are fired after the media elements are freed from memory.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the Mozilla security advisories.
Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpgrade to Mozilla Firefox ESR version 45.7 or later.
File Name: macosx_firefox_45_7_esr.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:H/RL:O/RC:C
Required KB Items: MacOSX/Firefox/Installed
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 1/24/2017
Vulnerability Publication Date: 1/24/2017
CVE: CVE-2017-5373, CVE-2017-5375, CVE-2017-5376, CVE-2017-5378, CVE-2017-5380, CVE-2017-5383, CVE-2017-5386, CVE-2017-5390, CVE-2017-5396
BID: 95757, 95758, 95762, 95769