SUSE SLES12 Security Update : kernel (SUSE-SU-2016:1995-1)
High Nessus Plugin ID 93270
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update for the Linux Kernel 3.12.51-52_31 fixes several issues.
The following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2016-4470: The key_reject_and_link function in security/keys/key.c in the Linux kernel did not ensure that a certain data structure is initialized, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) via vectors involving a crafted keyctl request2 command (bsc#984764).
- CVE-2016-1583: The ecryptfs_privileged_open function in fs/ecryptfs/kthread.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (stack memory consumption) via vectors involving crafted mmap calls for /proc pathnames, leading to recursive pagefault handling (bsc#983144).
- CVE-2016-4565: The InfiniBand (aka IB) stack in the Linux kernel incorrectly relied on the write system call, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (kernel memory write operation) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a uAPI interface (bsc#980883).
- CVE-2016-0758: Integer overflow in lib/asn1_decoder.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to gain privileges via crafted ASN.1 data (bsc#980856).
- CVE-2015-8019: The skb_copy_and_csum_datagram_iovec function in net/core/datagram.c in the Linux kernel did not accept a length argument, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a write system call followed by a recvmsg system call (bsc#979078).
- CVE-2016-2053: The asn1_ber_decoder function in lib/asn1_decoder.c in the Linux kernel allowed attackers to cause a denial of service (panic) via an ASN.1 BER file that lacks a public key, leading to mishandling by the public_key_verify_signature function in crypto/asymmetric_keys/public_key.c (bsc#979074).
- CVE-2015-8816: The hub_activate function in drivers/usb/core/hub.c in the Linux kernel did not properly maintain a hub-interface data structure, which allowed physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (invalid memory access and system crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact by unplugging a USB hub device (bsc#979064).
- CVE-2016-3134: The netfilter subsystem in the Linux kernel did not validate certain offset fields, which allowed local users to gain privileges or cause a denial of service (heap memory corruption) via an IPT_SO_SET_REPLACE setsockopt call (bsc#971793).
- CVE-2013-7446: Use-after-free vulnerability in net/unix/af_unix.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to bypass intended AF_UNIX socket permissions or cause a denial of service (panic) via crafted epoll_ctl calls (bsc#973570, bsc#955837).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP 12:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SAP-12-2016-1175=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12-LTSS:zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-2016-1175=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.