Apache Struts 2.x < 2.3.29 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 91812
SynopsisThe remote Windows host contains a web application that uses a Java framework that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of Apache Struts running on the remote Windows host is 2.x prior to 2.3.29. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A remote code execution vulnerability exists due to erroneously performing double OGNL evaluation of attribute values assigned to certain tags. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted request, to execute arbitrary code.
- A cross-site request forgery (XSRF) vulnerability exists due to improper validation of session tokens. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a malicious OGNL expression, to bypass token validation and perform an XSRF attack. (CVE-2016-4430)
- Multiple input validation issues exists that allow internal security mechanisms to be bypassed, allowing the manipulation of a return string which can be used to redirect users to a malicious website. This affects both the default action method the 'getter' action method.
- An unspecified flaw exists that is triggered during the cleanup of action names. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted payload, to perform unspecified actions. (CVE-2016-4436)
- A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the REST plugin due to improper handling of OGNL expressions. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a specially crafted OGNL expression, to execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2016-4438)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in URLValidator due to improper handling of form fields. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted URL, to overload the server when performing validation on the URL. (CVE-2016-4465)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Apache Struts version 2.3.29 or later. Alternatively, apply the workarounds referenced in the vendor advisory.