SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionSecurity Fix(es) :
- It was found that the fix for CVE-2014-9750 was incomplete: three issues were found in the value length checks in NTP's ntp_crypto.c, where a packet with particular autokey operations that contained malicious data was not always being completely validated. A remote attacker could use a specially crafted NTP packet to crash ntpd. (CVE-2015-7691, CVE-2015-7692, CVE-2015-7702)
- A memory leak flaw was found in ntpd's CRYPTO_ASSOC. If ntpd was configured to use autokey authentication, an attacker could send packets to ntpd that would, after several days of ongoing attack, cause it to run out of memory. (CVE-2015-7701)
- An off-by-one flaw, leading to a buffer overflow, was found in cookedprint functionality of ntpq. A specially crafted NTP packet could potentially cause ntpq to crash. (CVE-2015-7852)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in the way ntpd processed 'ntpdc reslist' commands that queried restriction lists with a large amount of entries. A remote attacker could potentially use this flaw to crash ntpd. (CVE-2015-7977)
- A stack-based buffer overflow flaw was found in the way ntpd processed 'ntpdc reslist' commands that queried restriction lists with a large amount of entries. A remote attacker could use this flaw to crash ntpd.
- It was found that ntpd could crash due to an uninitialized variable when processing malformed logconfig configuration commands. (CVE-2015-5194)
- It was found that ntpd would exit with a segmentation fault when a statistics type that was not enabled during compilation (e.g. timingstats) was referenced by the statistics or filegen configuration command.
- It was discovered that the sntp utility could become unresponsive due to being caught in an infinite loop when processing a crafted NTP packet. (CVE-2015-5219)
- It was found that NTP's :config command could be used to set the pidfile and driftfile paths without any restrictions. A remote attacker could use this flaw to overwrite a file on the file system with a file containing the pid of the ntpd process (immediately) or the current estimated drift of the system clock (in hourly intervals). (CVE-2015-7703)
The CVE-2015-5219 and CVE-2015-7703 issues were discovered by Miroslav Lichvr (Red Hat).
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.