SynopsisThe remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionUpdated binutils packages that fix multiple security issues, several bugs, and add various enhancements are now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.
Red Hat Product Security has rated this update as having Moderate security impact. Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) base scores, which give detailed severity ratings, are available for each vulnerability from the CVE links in the References section.
The binutils packages provide a set of binary utilities.
Multiple buffer overflow flaws were found in the libbdf library used by various binutils utilities. If a user were tricked into processing a specially crafted file with an application using the libbdf library, it could cause the application to crash or, potentially, execute arbitrary code. (CVE-2014-8485, CVE-2014-8501, CVE-2014-8502, CVE-2014-8503, CVE-2014-8504, CVE-2014-8738)
An integer overflow flaw was found in the libbdf library used by various binutils utilities. If a user were tricked into processing a specially crafted file with an application using the libbdf library, it could cause the application to crash. (CVE-2014-8484)
A directory traversal flaw was found in the strip and objcopy utilities. A specially crafted file could cause strip or objdump to overwrite an arbitrary file writable by the user running either of these utilities. (CVE-2014-8737)
This update fixes the following bugs :
* Binary files started by the system loader could lack the Relocation Read-Only (RELRO) protection even though it was explicitly requested when the application was built. This bug has been fixed on multiple architectures. Applications and all dependent object files, archives, and libraries built with an alpha or beta version of binutils should be rebuilt to correct this defect. (BZ#1200138, BZ#1175624)
* The ld linker on 64-bit PowerPC now correctly checks the output format when asked to produce a binary in another format than PowerPC.
* An important variable that holds the symbol table for the binary being debugged has been made persistent, and the objdump utility on 64-bit PowerPC is now able to access the needed information without reading an invalid memory region. (BZ#1172766)
* Undesirable runtime relocations described in RHBA-2015:0974.
The update adds these enhancements :
* New hardware instructions of the IBM z Systems z13 are now supported by assembler, disassembler, and linker, as well as Single Instruction, Multiple Data (SIMD) instructions. (BZ#1182153)
* Expressions of the form: '[email protected]' to refer to the local entry point for the FUNC function (if defined) are now supported by the PowerPC assembler. These are required by the ELFv2 ABI on the little-endian variant of IBM Power Systems. (BZ#1194164)
All binutils users are advised to upgrade to these updated packages, which contain backported patches to correct these issues and add these enhancements.
SolutionUpdate the affected binutils, binutils-debuginfo and / or binutils-devel packages.
File Name: redhat-RHSA-2015-2079.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:binutils, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:binutils-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:redhat:enterprise_linux:binutils-devel, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.2, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.3, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.4, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.5, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.6, cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.7
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/RedHat/release, Host/RedHat/rpm-list, Host/cpu
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 11/19/2015
Vulnerability Publication Date: 12/9/2014