New! Plugin Severity Now Using CVSS v3
The calculated severity for Plugins has been updated to use CVSS v3 by default. Plugins that do not have a CVSS v3 score will fall back to CVSS v2 for calculating severity. Severity display preferences can be toggled in the settings dropdown.
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe SUSE Linux Enterprise 11 SP4 kernel was updated to receive various security and bugfixes.
Following security bugs were fixed :
- CVE-2015-6252: Possible file descriptor leak for each VHOST_SET_LOG_FDcommand issued, this could eventually wasting available system resources and creating a denial of service (bsc#942367).
- CVE-2015-5707: Possible integer overflow in the calculation of total number of pages in bio_map_user_iov() (bsc#940338).
- CVE-2015-5364: The (1) udp_recvmsg and (2) udpv6_recvmsg functions in the Linux kernel before 4.0.6 do not properly consider yielding a processor, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (system hang) via incorrect checksums within a UDP packet flood (bsc#936831).
- CVE-2015-5366: The (1) udp_recvmsg and (2) udpv6_recvmsg functions in the Linux kernel before 4.0.6 provide inappropriate -EAGAIN return values, which allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (EPOLLET epoll application read outage) via an incorrect checksum in a UDP packet, a different vulnerability than CVE-2015-5364 (bsc#936831).
- CVE-2015-1420: Race condition in the handle_to_path function in fs/fhandle.c in the Linux kernel through 3.19.1 allowed local users to bypass intended size restrictions and trigger read operations on additional memory locations by changing the handle_bytes value of a file handle during the execution of this function (bsc#915517).
- CVE-2015-1805: The (1) pipe_read and (2) pipe_write implementations in fs/pipe.c in the Linux kernel before 3.16 do not properly consider the side effects of failed
__copy_to_user_inatomic and __copy_from_user_inatomic calls, which allows local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly gain privileges via a crafted application, aka an 'I/O' vector array overrun.
- CVE-2015-2150: Xen 3.3.x through 4.5.x and the Linux kernel through 3.19.1 do not properly restrict access to PCI command registers, which might allow local guest users to cause a denial of service (non-maskable interrupt and host crash) by disabling the (1) memory or (2) I/O decoding for a PCI Express device and then accessing the device, which triggers an Unsupported Request (UR) response. (bsc#919463)
- CVE-2015-2830: arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.S in the Linux kernel before 3.19.2 does not prevent the TS_COMPAT flag from reaching a user-mode task, which might allow local users to bypass the seccomp or audit protection mechanism via a crafted application that uses the (1) fork or (2) close system call, as demonstrated by an attack against seccomp before 3.16. (bsc#926240)
- CVE-2015-4700: The bpf_int_jit_compile function in arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c in the Linux kernel before 4.0.6 allowed local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) by creating a packet filter and then loading crafted BPF instructions that trigger late convergence by the JIT compiler (bsc#935705).
- CVE-2015-4167: The udf_read_inode function in fs/udf/inode.c in the Linux kernel before 3.19.1 did not validate certain length values, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (incorrect data representation or integer overflow, and OOPS) via a crafted UDF filesystem (bsc#933907).
- CVE-2015-0777: drivers/xen/usbback/usbback.c in linux-2.6.18-xen-3.4.0 (aka the Xen 3.4.x support patches for the Linux kernel 2.6.18), as used in the Linux kernel 2.6.x and 3.x in SUSE Linux distributions, allows guest OS users to obtain sensitive information from uninitialized locations in host OS kernel memory via unspecified vectors. (bsc#917830)
- CVE-2014-9728: The UDF filesystem implementation in the Linux kernel before 3.18.2 did not validate certain lengths, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (buffer over-read and system crash) via a crafted filesystem image, related to fs/udf/inode.c and fs/udf/symlink.c (bsc#933904).
- CVE-2014-9730: The udf_pc_to_char function in fs/udf/symlink.c in the Linux kernel before 3.18.2 relies on component lengths that are unused, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) via a crafted UDF filesystem image (bsc#933904).
- CVE-2014-9729: The udf_read_inode function in fs/udf/inode.c in the Linux kernel before 3.18.2 did not ensure a certain data-structure size consistency, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (system crash) via a crafted UDF filesystem image (bsc#933904).
- CVE-2014-9731: The UDF filesystem implementation in the Linux kernel before 3.18.2 did not ensure that space is available for storing a symlink target's name along with a trailing \0 character, which allowed local users to obtain sensitive information via a crafted filesystem image, related to fs/udf/symlink.c and fs/udf/unicode.c (bsc#933896).
The update package also includes non-security fixes. See advisory for details.
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch sdksp4-kernel-20150908-12114=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch slessp4-kernel-20150908-12114=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11-EXTRA :
zypper in -t patch slexsp3-kernel-20150908-12114=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch sledsp4-kernel-20150908-12114=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Debuginfo 11-SP4 :
zypper in -t patch dbgsp4-kernel-20150908-12114=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.