New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 5.9
SynopsisThe remote web server is running an application that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionAccording to its version number, the instance of Splunk hosted on the remote web server is Enterprise 5.0.x prior to 5.0.14, 6.0.x prior to 6.0.10, 6.1.x prior to 6.1.9, 6.2.x prior to 6.2.5, or Light 6.2.x prior to 6.2.5. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities in the bundled OpenSSL library :
- A denial of service vulnerability exists when processing an ECParameters structure due to an infinite loop that occurs when a specified curve is over a malformed binary polynomial field. A remote attacker can exploit this to perform a denial of service against any system that processes public keys, certificate requests, or certificates. This includes TLS clients and TLS servers with client authentication enabled. (CVE-2015-1788)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists due to improper validation of the content and length of the ASN1_TIME string by the X509_cmp_time() function. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a malformed certificate and CRLs of various sizes, to cause a segmentation fault, resulting in a denial of service condition. TLS clients that verify CRLs are affected. TLS clients and servers with client authentication enabled may be affected if they use custom verification callbacks.
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the PKCS#7 parsing code due to incorrect handling of missing inner 'EncryptedContent'. This allows a remote attacker, via specially crafted ASN.1-encoded PKCS#7 blobs with missing content, to cause a denial of service condition or other potential unspecified impacts. (CVE-2015-1790)
- A double-free error exists due to a race condition that occurs when a NewSessionTicket is received by a multi-threaded client when attempting to reuse a previous ticket. (CVE-2015-1791)
- A denial of service vulnerability exists in the CMS code due to an infinite loop that occurs when verifying a signedData message. A remote attacker can exploit this to cause a denial of service condition. (CVE-2015-1792)
- A certificate validation bypass vulnerability exists due to a flaw in the X509_verify_cert() function in file x509_vfy.c, which occurs when locating alternate certificate chains whenever the first attempt to build such a chain fails. A remote attacker can exploit this, by using a valid leaf certificate as a certificate authority (CA), to issue invalid certificates that will bypass authentication. (CVE-2015-1793)
Additionally, a cross-site scripting vulnerability exists in Splunk Enterprise due to improper validation of user-supplied input before returning it to users. An attacker can exploit this, via a crafted request, to execute arbitrary script code.
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade to Splunk Enterprise 5.0.14 / 6.0.10 / 6.1.9 / 6.2.5 or later, or Splunk Light 6.2.5 or later.