SUSE SLED12 / SLES12 Security Update : python (SUSE-SU-2015:1344-1)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 85250
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis update to python 2.7.9 fixes the following issues :
- python-2.7-libffi-aarch64.patch: Fix argument passing in libffi for aarch64
From the version update to 2.7.9 :
- contains full backport of ssl module from Python 3.4 (PEP466)
- HTTPS certificate validation enabled by default (PEP476)
- SSLv3 disabled by default (bnc#901715)
- backported ensurepip module (PEP477)
- fixes several missing CVEs from last release:
- dropped upstreamed patches: python-2.7.6-poplib.patch, smtplib_maxline-2.7.patch, xmlrpc_gzip_27.patch
- dropped patch python-2.7.3-ssl_ca_path.patch because we don't need it with ssl module from Python 3
- libffi was upgraded upstream, seems to contain our changes, so dropping libffi-ppc64le.diff as well
- python-2.7-urllib2-localnet-ssl.patch - properly remove unconditional 'import ssl' from test_urllib2_localnet that caused it to fail without ssl
- skip test_thread in qemu_linux_user mode
From the version update to 2.7.8 :
- fixes CVE-2014-4650 directory traversal in CGIHTTPServer
- fixes CVE-2014-7185 (bnc#898572) potential buffer overflow in buffer()
Also the DH parameters were increased to 2048 bit to fix logjam security issue (bsc#935856)
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionTo install this SUSE Security Update use YaST online_update.
Alternatively you can run the command listed for your product :
SUSE Linux Enterprise Workstation Extension 12 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-WE-12-2015-367=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development Kit 12 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SDK-12-2015-367=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-2015-367=1
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 :
zypper in -t patch SUSE-SLE-DESKTOP-12-2015-367=1
To bring your system up-to-date, use 'zypper patch'.