New! Plugin Severity Now Using CVSS v3
The calculated severity for Plugins has been updated to use CVSS v3 by default. Plugins that do not have a CVSS v3 score will fall back to CVSS v2 for calculating severity. Severity display preferences can be toggled in the settings dropdown.
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThis Linux kernel update fixes various security issues and bugs in the SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP4 kernel.
The following security issues have been fixed :
CVE-2011-2494: kernel/taskstats.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain sensitive I/O statistics by sending taskstats commands to a netlink socket, as demonstrated by discovering the length of another users password (a side channel attack).
CVE-2012-2744: net/ipv6/netfilter/nf_conntrack_reasm.c in the Linux kernel, when the nf_conntrack_ipv6 module is enabled, allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and system crash) via certain types of fragmented IPv6 packets.
CVE-2012-3510: Use-after-free vulnerability in the xacct_add_tsk function in kernel/tsacct.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to obtain potentially sensitive information from kernel memory or cause a denial of service (system crash) via a taskstats TASKSTATS_CMD_ATTR_PID command.
CVE-2011-4110: The user_update function in security/keys/user_defined.c in the Linux kernel 2.6 allowed local users to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and kernel oops) via vectors related to a user-defined key and updating a negative key into a fully instantiated key.
CVE-2011-1044: The ib_uverbs_poll_cq function in drivers/infiniband/core/uverbs_cmd.c in the Linux kernel did not initialize a certain response buffer, which allowed local users to obtain potentially sensitive information from kernel memory via vectors that cause this buffer to be only partially filled, a different vulnerability than CVE-2010-4649.
CVE-2012-3400: Heap-based buffer overflow in the udf_load_logicalvol function in fs/udf/super.c in the Linux kernel allowed remote attackers to cause a denial of service (system crash) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted UDF filesystem.
CVE-2012-2136: The sock_alloc_send_pskb function in net/core/sock.c in the Linux kernel did not properly validate a certain length value, which allowed local users to cause a denial of service (heap-based buffer overflow and system crash) or possibly gain privileges by leveraging access to a TUN/TAP device.
CVE-2012-2663: A small denial of service leak in dropping syn+fin messages was fixed.
The following non-security issues have been fixed :
- kbuild: Fix gcc -x syntax (bnc#773831).
- knfsd: An assortment of little fixes to the sunrpc cache code (bnc#767766).
- knfsd: Unexport cache_fresh and fix a small race (bnc#767766).
- knfsd: nfsd: do not drop silently on upcall deferral (bnc#767766).
- knfsd: svcrpc: remove another silent drop from deferral code (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: simplify cache_fresh_locked and cache_fresh_unlocked (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: recheck cache validity after cache_defer_req (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: use list_del_init for the list_head entries in cache_deferred_req (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: avoid variable over-loading in cache_defer_req (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: allow thread to block while waiting for cache update (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: Fix race in sunrpc/cache introduced by patch to allow thread to block while waiting for cache update (bnc#767766).
- sunrpc/cache: Another fix for race problem with sunrpc cache deferal (bnc#767766).
- knfsd: nfsd: make all exp_finding functions return
-errnos on err (bnc#767766).
- Fix kabi breakage in previous nfsd patch series (bnc#767766).
- nfsd: Work around incorrect return type for wait_for_completion_interruptible_timeout (bnc#767766).
- nfs: Fix a potential file corruption issue when writing (bnc#773272).
- nfs: Allow sync writes to be multiple pages (bnc#763526).
- nfs: fix reference counting for NFSv4 callback thread (bnc#767504).
- nfs: flush signals before taking down callback thread (bnc#767504).
- nfsv4: Ensure nfs_callback_down() calls svc_destroy() (bnc#767504).
- SCSI/ch: Check NULL for kmalloc() return (bnc#783058).
drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_init.c: correct the size argument to kmalloc (bnc#783058).
block: fail SCSI passthrough ioctls on partition devices (bnc#738400).
dm: do not forward ioctls from logical volumes to the underlying device (bnc#738400).
vmware: Fix VMware hypervisor detection (bnc#777575, bnc#770507).
- lgr: Make lgr_page static (bnc#772409,LTC#83520).
- zfcp: Fix oops in _blk_add_trace() (bnc#772409,LTC#83510). kernel: Add z/VM LGR detection (bnc#767277,LTC#RAS1203).
be2net: Fix EEH error reset before a flash dump completes (bnc#755546).
- mptfusion: fix msgContext in mptctl_hp_hostinfo (bnc#767939).
- PCI: Fix bus resource assignment on 32 bits with 64b resources. (bnc#762581)
- PCI: fix up setup-bus.c #ifdef. (bnc#762581) x86:
powernow-k8: Fix indexing issue (bnc#758985).
net: Fix race condition about network device name allocation (bnc#747576).
- smpboot: adjust ordering of operations.
- xen/x86-64: provide a memset() that can deal with 4Gb or above at a time (bnc#738528).
- xen: fix VM_FOREIGN users after c/s 878:eba6fe6d8d53 (bnc#760974).
- xen/gntdev: fix multi-page slot allocation (bnc#760974).
Note that Tenable Network Security has extracted the preceding description block directly from the SUSE security advisory. Tenable has attempted to automatically clean and format it as much as possible without introducing additional issues.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages