AIX OpenSSL Advisory : openssl_advisory13.asc
High Nessus Plugin ID 82900
SynopsisThe remote AIX host has a version of OpenSSL installed that is affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionThe version of OpenSSL installed on the remote AIX host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- A use-after-free condition exists in the d2i_ECPrivateKey() function due to improper processing of malformed EC private key files during import. A remote attacker can exploit this to dereference or free already freed memory, resulting in a denial of service or other unspecified impact. (CVE-2015-0209)
- An invalid read flaw exists in the ASN1_TYPE_cmp() function due to improperly performed boolean-type comparisons. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted X.509 certificate to an endpoint that uses the certificate-verification feature, to cause an invalid read operation, resulting in a denial of service.
- A flaw exists in the ASN1_item_ex_d2i() function due to a failure to reinitialize 'CHOICE' and 'ADB' data structures when reusing a structure in ASN.1 parsing.
This allows a remote attacker to cause an invalid write operation and memory corruption, resulting in a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0287)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the X509_to_X509_REQ() function due to improper processing of certificate keys. This allows a remote attacker, via a crafted X.509 certificate, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0288)
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw exists in the PKCS#7 parsing code due to incorrect handling of missing outer ContentInfo. This allows a remote attacker, using an application that processes arbitrary PKCS#7 data and providing malformed data with ASN.1 encoding, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0289)
- An integer underflow condition exists in the EVP_DecodeUpdate() function due to improper validation of base64 encoded input when decoding. This allows a remote attacker, using maliciously crafted base64 data, to cause a segmentation fault or memory corruption, resulting in a denial of service or possibly the execution of arbitrary code. (CVE-2015-0292)
- A flaw exists in servers that both support SSLv2 and enable export cipher suites due to improper implementation of SSLv2. A remote attacker can exploit this, via a crafted CLIENT-MASTER-KEY message, to cause a denial of service. (CVE-2015-0293)
SolutionA fix is available and can be downloaded from the AIX website.
IMPORTANT : If possible, it is recommended that a mksysb backup of the system be created. Verify that it is both bootable and readable before proceeding.