New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6.7
SynopsisThe remote AIX host is running a vulnerable version of OpenSSL.
DescriptionThe version of OpenSSL running on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- The implementation of Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and PKCS #7 in OpenSSL does not properly restrict certain oracle behavior, which makes it easier for context-dependent attackers to decrypt data via a Million Message Attack (MMA) adaptive chosen ciphertext attack. (CVE-2012-0884)
- The mime_param_cmp function in crypto/asn1/asn_mime.c in OpenSSL allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and application crash) via a crafted S/MIME message, a different vulnerability than CVE-2006-7250. (CVE-2012-1165)
- The asn1_d2i_read_bio function in crypto/asn1/a_d2i_fp.c in OpenSSL does not properly interpret integer data, which allows remote attackers to conduct buffer overflow attacks, and cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact, via crafted DER data, as demonstrated by an X.509 certificate or an RSA public key. (CVE-2012-2110)
- Multiple integer signedness errors in crypto/buffer/buffer.c in OpenSSL allow remote attackers to conduct buffer overflow attacks, and cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact, via crafted DER data, as demonstrated by an X.509 certificate or an RSA public key. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of an incomplete fix for CVE-2012-2110. (CVE-2012-2131)
- Integer underflow in OpenSSL when TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2, or DTLS is used with CBC encryption, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (buffer over- read) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted TLS packet that is not properly handled during a certain explicit IV calculation. (CVE-2012-2333)
SolutionA fix is available, and it can be downloaded from the AIX website.
To extract the fixes from the tar file :
zcat openssl-0.9.8.1802.tar.Z | tar xvf - or zcat openssl-fips-18.104.22.1682.tar.Z | tar xvf -
IMPORTANT : If possible, it is recommended that a mksysb backup of the system be created. Verify it is both bootable and readable before proceeding.
To preview the fix installation :
installp -apYd . openssl
To install the fix package :
installp -aXYd . openssl