AIX OpenSSL Advisory : openssl_advisory4.asc
High Nessus Plugin ID 73562
SynopsisThe remote AIX host is running a vulnerable version of OpenSSL.
DescriptionThe version of OpenSSL running on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- The implementation of Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and PKCS #7 in OpenSSL does not properly restrict certain oracle behavior, which makes it easier for context-dependent attackers to decrypt data via a Million Message Attack (MMA) adaptive chosen ciphertext attack. (CVE-2012-0884)
- The mime_param_cmp function in crypto/asn1/asn_mime.c in OpenSSL allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and application crash) via a crafted S/MIME message, a different vulnerability than CVE-2006-7250. (CVE-2012-1165)
- The asn1_d2i_read_bio function in crypto/asn1/a_d2i_fp.c in OpenSSL does not properly interpret integer data, which allows remote attackers to conduct buffer overflow attacks, and cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact, via crafted DER data, as demonstrated by an X.509 certificate or an RSA public key. (CVE-2012-2110)
- Multiple integer signedness errors in crypto/buffer/buffer.c in OpenSSL allow remote attackers to conduct buffer overflow attacks, and cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly have unspecified other impact, via crafted DER data, as demonstrated by an X.509 certificate or an RSA public key. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of an incomplete fix for CVE-2012-2110. (CVE-2012-2131)
- Integer underflow in OpenSSL when TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2, or DTLS is used with CBC encryption, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (buffer over- read) or possibly have unspecified other impact via a crafted TLS packet that is not properly handled during a certain explicit IV calculation. (CVE-2012-2333)
SolutionA fix is available, and it can be downloaded from the AIX website.
To extract the fixes from the tar file :
zcat openssl-0.9.8.1802.tar.Z | tar xvf - or zcat openssl-fips-18.104.22.1682.tar.Z | tar xvf -
IMPORTANT : If possible, it is recommended that a mksysb backup of the system be created. Verify it is both bootable and readable before proceeding.
To preview the fix installation :
installp -apYd . openssl
To install the fix package :
installp -aXYd . openssl