AIX OpenSSL Advisory : openssl_advisory3.asc
High Nessus Plugin ID 73561
SynopsisThe remote AIX host is running a vulnerable version of OpenSSL.
DescriptionThe version of OpenSSL running on the remote host is affected by the following vulnerabilities :
- The DTLS implementation in OpenSSL before 0.9.8s and 1.x before 1.0.0f performs a MAC check only if certain padding is valid, which makes it easier for remote attackers to recover plaintext via a padding oracle attack. (CVE-2011-4108)
- Double free vulnerability in OpenSSL 0.9.8 before 0.9.8s, when X509_V_FLAG_POLICY_CHECK is enabled, allows remote attackers to have an unspecified impact by triggering failure of a policy check. (CVE-2011-4109)
- The SSL 3.0 implementation in OpenSSL before 0.9.8s and 1.x before 1.0.0f does not properly initialize data structures for block cipher padding, which might allow remote attackers to obtain sensitive information by decrypting the padding data sent by an SSL peer.
- The Server Gated Cryptography (SGC) implementation in OpenSSL before 0.9.8s and 1.x before 1.0.0f does not properly handle handshake restarts, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service via unspecified vectors. (CVE-2011-4619)
- OpenSSL 0.9.8s and 1.0.0f does not properly support DTLS applications, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service via unspecified vectors. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of an incorrect fix for CVE-2011-4108. (CVE-2012-0050)
SolutionA fix is available, and it can be downloaded from the AIX website.
To extract the fixes from the tar file :
zcat openssl.0.9.8.1801.tar.Z | tar xvf - or zcat openssl-fips.184.108.40.2061.tar.Z | tar xvf - or zcat openssl.0.9.8.809.tar.Z | tar xvf -
IMPORTANT : If possible, it is recommended that a mksysb backup of the system be created. Verify it is both bootable and readable before proceeding.
To preview the fix installation :
installp -apYd . openssl
To install the fix package :
installp -aXYd . openssl