SuSE 10 Security Update : Linux kernel (ZYPP Patch Number 8527)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 65960
SynopsisThe remote SuSE 10 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis Linux kernel update fixes various security issues and bugs in the SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP4 kernel.
The following security issues have been fixed :
- A race condition in ptrace(2) could be used by local attackers to crash the kernel and/or execute code in kernel context. (CVE-2013-0871)
- Avoid side channel information leaks from the ptys via ptmx, which allowed local attackers to guess keypresses.
- Avoid leaving bprm->interp on the stack which might have leaked information from the kernel to userland attackers. (CVE-2012-4530)
- The msr_open function in arch/x86/kernel/msr.c in the Linux kernel allowed local users to bypass intended capability restrictions by executing a crafted application as root, as demonstrated by msr32.c.
- The Xen netback functionality in the Linux kernel allowed guest OS users to cause a denial of service (loop) by triggering ring pointer corruption.
- The pciback_enable_msi function in the PCI backend driver (drivers/xen/pciback/conf_space_capability_msi.c) in Xen for the Linux kernel allowed guest OS users with PCI device access to cause a denial of service via a large number of kernel log messages. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third-party information.
Also the following non-security bugs have been fixed :
- s390x: tty struct used after free (bnc#809692, LTC#90216).
- s390x/kernel: sched_clock() overflow (bnc#799611, LTC#87978).
- qeth: set new mac even if old mac is gone (bnc#789012,LTC#86643).
- qeth: set new mac even if old mac is gone (2) (bnc#792697,LTC#87138).
- qeth: fix deadlock between recovery and bonding driver (bnc#785101,LTC#85905).
- dasd: check count address during online setting (bnc#781485,LTC#85346).
- hugetlbfs: add missing TLB invalidation (bnc#781485,LTC#85463).
- s390/kernel: make user-access pagetable walk code huge page aware (bnc#781485,LTC#85455).
- xen/netback: fix netbk_count_requests().
- xen: properly bound buffer access when parsing cpu/availability.
- xen/scsiback/usbback: move cond_resched() invocations to proper place.
- xen/pciback: properly clean up after calling pcistub_device_find().
- xen: add further backward-compatibility configure options.
- xen/PCI: suppress bogus warning on old hypervisors.
- xenbus: fix overflow check in xenbus_dev_write().
- xen/x86: do not corrupt %eip when returning from a signal handler. Other :
- kernel: Restrict clearing TIF_SIGPENDING. (bnc#742111)
- kernel: recalc_sigpending_tsk fixes. (bnc#742111)
- xfs: Do not reclaim new inodes in xfs_sync_inodes().
- jbd: Avoid BUG_ON when checkpoint stalls. (bnc#795335)
- reiserfs: Fix int overflow while calculating free space.
- cifs: clarify the meaning of tcpStatus == CifsGood.
- cifs: do not allow cifs_reconnect to exit with NULL socket pointer. (bnc#769093)
- cifs: switch to seq_files. (bnc#776370)
- scsi: fix check of PQ and PDT bits for WLUNs.
- hugetlb: preserve hugetlb pte dirty state. (bnc#790236)
- poll: enforce RLIMIT_NOFILE in poll(). (bnc#787272)
- proc: fix ->open less usage due to ->proc_fops flip.
- rpm/kernel-binary.spec.in: Ignore kabi errors if %%ignore_kabi_badness is defined. This is used in the Kernel:* projects in the OBS.
SolutionApply ZYPP patch number 8527.