New! Vulnerability Priority Rating (VPR)
Tenable calculates a dynamic VPR for every vulnerability. VPR combines vulnerability information with threat intelligence and machine learning algorithms to predict which vulnerabilities are most likely to be exploited in attacks. Read more about what VPR is and how it's different from CVSS.
VPR Score: 6
SynopsisThe remote Scientific Linux host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe kernel packages contain the Linux kernel, the core of any Linux operating system.
This update fixes the following security issues :
- A flaw in the dccp_rcv_state_process() function could allow a remote attacker to cause a denial of service, even when the socket was already closed. (CVE-2011-1093, Important)
- Multiple buffer overflow flaws were found in the Linux kernel's Management Module Support for Message Passing Technology (MPT) based controllers. A local, unprivileged user could use these flaws to cause a denial of service, an information leak, or escalate their privileges. (CVE-2011-1494, CVE-2011-1495, Important)
- A missing validation of a null-terminated string data structure element in the bnep_sock_ioctl() function could allow a local user to cause an information leak or a denial of service. (CVE-2011-1079, Moderate)
- Missing error checking in the way page tables were handled in the Xen hypervisor implementation could allow a privileged guest user to cause the host, and the guests, to lock up. (CVE-2011-1166, Moderate)
- A flaw was found in the way the Xen hypervisor implementation checked for the upper boundary when getting a new event channel port. A privileged guest user could use this flaw to cause a denial of service or escalate their privileges. (CVE-2011-1763, Moderate)
- The start_code and end_code values in '/proc/[pid]/stat' were not protected. In certain scenarios, this flaw could be used to defeat Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR). (CVE-2011-0726, Low)
- A missing initialization flaw in the sco_sock_getsockopt() function could allow a local, unprivileged user to cause an information leak.
- A missing validation of a null-terminated string data structure element in the do_replace() function could allow a local user who has the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability to cause an information leak. (CVE-2011-1080, Low)
- A buffer overflow flaw in the DEC Alpha OSF partition implementation in the Linux kernel could allow a local attacker to cause an information leak by mounting a disk that contains specially crafted partition tables.
- Missing validations of null-terminated string data structure elements in the do_replace(), compat_do_replace(), do_ipt_get_ctl(), do_ip6t_get_ctl(), and do_arpt_get_ctl() functions could allow a local user who has the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability to cause an information leak. (CVE-2011-1170, CVE-2011-1171, CVE-2011-1172, Low)
- A heap overflow flaw in the Linux kernel's EFI GUID Partition Table (GPT) implementation could allow a local attacker to cause a denial of service by mounting a disk that contains specially crafted partition tables.
This update also fixes several bugs.
The system must be rebooted for this update to take effect.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.