SynopsisThe remote SuSE 10 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis Linux kernel update for SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 Service Pack 2 fixes various bugs and several security issues.
The following security issues were fixed: CVE-2009-0675: The skfp_ioctl function in drivers/net/skfp/skfddi.c in the Linux kernel permits SKFP_CLR_STATS requests only when the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability is absent, instead of when this capability is present, which allows local users to reset the driver statistics, related to an 'inverted logic' issue.
- The sock_getsockopt function in net/core/sock.c in the Linux kernel does not initialize a certain structure member, which allows local users to obtain potentially sensitive information from kernel memory via an SO_BSDCOMPAT getsockopt request. (CVE-2009-0676)
- The clone system call in the Linux kernel allows local users to send arbitrary signals to a parent process from an unprivileged child process by launching an additional child process with the CLONE_PARENT flag, and then letting this new process exit. (CVE-2009-0028)
- The Linux kernel does not check when a user attempts to set RLIMIT_CPU to 0 until after the change is made, which allows local users to bypass intended resource limits. (CVE-2008-1294)
- Buffer overflow in net/sctp/sm_statefuns.c in the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (sctp) implementation in the Linux kernel allows remote attackers to have an unknown impact via an FWD-TSN (aka FORWARD-TSN) chunk with a large stream ID. (CVE-2009-0065)
- The console selection feature in the Linux kernel when the UTF-8 console is used, allows physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (memory corruption) by selecting a small number of 3-byte UTF-8 characters, which triggers an an off-by-two memory error. It is is not clear if this can be exploited at all. (CVE-2009-1046)
Also a huge number of regular bugs were fixed, please see the RPM changelog for full details.
SolutionApply ZYPP patch number 6113.
File Name: suse_kernel-6113.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Patch Publication Date: 3/24/2009