SuSE 10 Security Update : Linux kernel (ZYPP Patch Number 1900)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 59120
SynopsisThe remote SuSE 10 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis kernel update fixes the following security problems :
- A race condition allows local users to gain root privileges by changing the file mode of /proc/self/ files in a way that causes those files (for instance /proc/self/environ) to become setuid root. [#192688].
- A stack-based buffer overflow in CDROM / DVD handling was fixed which could be used by a physical local attacker to crash the kernel or execute code within kernel context, depending on presence of automatic DVD handling in the system. [#190396]. (CVE-2006-2935)
- Due to an argument validation error in prctl(PR_SET_DUMPABLE) a local attacker can easily gain administrator (root) privileges. [#186980].
and the following non security bugs :
- Limit the maximum number of LUNs to 16384 [#185164]
- LSI 1030/MPT Fusion driver hang during error recovery -- Optionally disable QAS [#180100]
- advance buffer pointers in h_copy_rdma() to avoid data corruption [#186444]
SolutionApply ZYPP patch number 1900.