SuSE 10 Security Update : Linux kernel (ZYPP Patch Number 7011)
High Nessus Plugin ID 46252
SynopsisThe remote SuSE 10 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis update fixes a several security issues and various bugs in the SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP 2 kernel. The bugs fixed include a serious data corruption regression in NFS.
The following security issues were fixed :
- drivers/net/r8169.c in the r8169 driver in the Linux kernel does not properly check the size of an Ethernet frame that exceeds the MTU, which allows remote attackers to (1) cause a denial of service (temporary network outage) via a packet with a crafted size, in conjunction with certain packets containing A characters and certain packets containing E characters; or (2) cause a denial of service (system crash) via a packet with a crafted size, in conjunction with certain packets containing '0' characters, related to the value of the status register and erroneous behavior associated with the RxMaxSize register. (CVE-2009-4537)
- The ULE decapsulation functionality in drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb_net.c in dvb-core in the Linux kernel arlier allows attackers to cause a denial of service (infinite loop) via a crafted MPEG2-TS frame, related to an invalid Payload Pointer ULE.
- fs/namei.c in Linux kernel does not always follow NFS automount 'symlinks,' which allows attackers to have an unknown impact, related to LOOKUP_FOLLOW.
- Stack-based buffer overflow in the hfs subsystem in the Linux kernel allows remote attackers to have an unspecified impact via a crafted Hierarchical File System (HFS) filesystem, related to the hfs_readdir function in fs/hfs/dir.c. (CVE-2009-4020)
- The processcompl_compat function in drivers/usb/core/devio.c in the Linux kernel does not clear the transfer buffer before returning to userspace when a USB command fails, which might make it easier for physically proximate attackers to obtain sensitive information (kernel memory). (CVE-2010-1083)
- drivers/connector/connector.c in the Linux kernel allows local users to cause a denial of service (memory consumption and system crash) by sending the kernel many NETLINK_CONNECTOR messages. (CVE-2010-0410)
SolutionApply ZYPP patch number 7011.