SynopsisThe remote host has a virtualization application affected by multiple vulnerabilities.
DescriptionA VMware product (Player, Workstation, or Movie Decoder) detected on the remote host has one or more of the following vulnerabilities :
- The VMnc media codec has multiple heap overflow vulnerabilities. A remote attacker could exploit these issues by tricking a user into requesting a malicious web page or opening a malicious file.
- A flaw in the 3rd party libpng library could allow an attacker to read sensitive portions of memory.
- A flaw in vmware-authd could lead to a denial of service service on Windows-based hosts. (CVE-2009-3707)
- A format string vulnerability exists in the VMware Remote Console Plug-in. A remote attacker could exploit this by tricking a user into requesting a malicious web page, resulting in arbitrary code execution.
- A flaw in the virtual networking stack could result in an information leak, causing memory from a guest VM to be sent to host's physical network. (CVE-2010-1138)
- A vulnerability in the USB service allows a local attacker to elevate privileges by placing a malicious file in a certain location. This vulnerability only affects Workstation and Player installed on Windows.
- A flaw in the way VMware libraries are referenced could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code in a guest Windows VM by tricking a user into requesting a malicious file. (CVE-2010-1141)
- A flaw in the way VMware executables are loaded could allow a malicious user to execute arbitrary code in a guest Windows VM by planting a malicious file in a a certain location. (CVE-2010-1142)
SolutionUpgrade to :
- VMware Workstation 6.5.4 / 7.0.1 or later.
- VMware Player 2.5.4 / 3.0.1 or later.
- VMware Movie Decoder (standalone) 6.5.4 or later.
- VMware Remote Console Plug-in latest version (refer to the advisory for instructions)
In addition to patching, VMware Tools must be updated on all guest VMs in order to completely mitigate certain vulnerabilities. Refer to the VMware advisory for more information.