SynopsisThe remote SuSE 9 host is missing a security-related patch.
DescriptionThis update fixes various security issues and some bugs in the SUSE Linux Enterprise 9 kernel.
The following security bugs were fixed :
- A race condition in the pipe(2) systemcall could be used by local attackers to execute code. (CVE-2009-3547)
- On x86_64 systems a information leak of high register contents (upper 32bit) was fixed. (CVE-2009-2910)
- The (1) agp_generic_alloc_page and (2) agp_generic_alloc_pages functions in drivers/char/agp/generic.c in the agp subsystem in the Linux kernel do not zero out pages that may later be available to a user-space process, which allows local users to obtain sensitive information by reading these pages. (CVE-2009-1192)
- Unsigned check in the ax25 socket handler could allow local attackers to potentially crash the kernel or even execute code. (CVE-2009-2909)
- The execve function in the Linux kernel did not properly clear the current->clear_child_tid pointer, which allows local users to cause a denial of service (memory corruption) or possibly gain privileges via a clone system call with CLONE_CHILD_SETTID or CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID enabled, which is not properly handled during thread creation and exit. (CVE-2009-2848)
- Fixed various sockethandler getname leaks, which could disclose memory previously used by the kernel or other userland processes to the local attacker.
- Multiple buffer overflows in the cifs subsystem in the Linux kernel allow remote CIFS servers to cause a denial of service (memory corruption) and possibly have unspecified other impact via (1) a malformed Unicode string, related to Unicode string area alignment in fs/cifs/sess.c; or (2) long Unicode characters, related to fs/cifs/cifssmb.c and the cifs_readdir function in fs/cifs/readdir.c. (CVE-2009-1633)
- The nfs4_proc_lock function in fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c in the NFSv4 client in the allows remote NFS servers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and panic) by sending a certain response containing incorrect file attributes, which trigger attempted use of an open file that lacks NFSv4 state. (CVE-2009-3726)
SolutionApply YOU patch number 12541.
File Name: suse9_12541.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 11/11/2009