FreeBSD : cvs -- numerous vulnerabilities (d2102505-f03d-11d8-81b0-000347a4fa7d)
Critical Nessus Plugin ID 37427
SynopsisThe remote FreeBSD host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionA number of vulnerabilities were discovered in CVS by Stefan Esser, Sebastian Krahmer, and Derek Price.
- Insufficient input validation while processing 'Entry' lines.
- A double-free resulting from erroneous state handling while processing 'Argumentx' commands. (CVE-2004-0416)
- Integer overflow while processing 'Max-dotdot' commands.
- Erroneous handling of empty entries handled while processing 'Notify' commands. (CVE-2004-0418)
- A format string bug while processing CVS wrappers.
- Single-byte buffer underflows while processing configuration files from CVSROOT.
- Various other integer overflows.
Additionally, iDEFENSE reports an undocumented command-line flag used in debugging does not perform input validation on the given path names.
CVS servers ('cvs server' or :pserver: modes) are affected by these vulnerabilities. They vary in impact but include information disclosure (the iDEFENSE-reported bug), denial-of-service (CVE-2004-0414, CVE-2004-0416, CVE-2004-0417 and other bugs), or possibly arbitrary code execution (CVE-2004-0418). In very special situations where the attacker may somehow influence the contents of CVS configuration files in CVSROOT, additional attacks may be possible.
SolutionUpdate the affected package.