openSUSE 10 Security Update : kernel (kernel-4487)
High Nessus Plugin ID 27298
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis kernel update fixes the following security problems :
- CVE-2007-3105: Stack-based buffer overflow in the random number generator (RNG) implementation in the Linux kernel before 2.6.22 might allow local root users to cause a denial of service or gain privileges by setting the default wake-up threshold to a value greater than the output pool size, which triggers writing random numbers to the stack by the pool transfer function involving 'bound check ordering'. Since this value can only be changed by a root user, exploitability is low.
- CVE-2007-2525: A memory leak in the PPPoE driver can be abused by local users to cause a denial-of-service condition.
- CVE-2007-3851: On machines with a Intel i965 based graphics card local users with access to the direct rendering devicenode could overwrite memory on the machine and so gain root privileges.
- CVE-2007-4573: It was possible for local user to become root by exploitable a bug in the IA32 system call emulation. This affects x86_64 platforms with kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x before 22.214.171.124 only.
- CVE-2007-4571: An information disclosure vulnerability in the ALSA driver can be exploited by local users to read sensitive data from the kernel memory.
and the following non security bugs :
- patches.arch/x86-fam10-mtrr: mtrr: fix size_or_mask and size_and_mask [#237736]
- patches.fixes/usb_nokia6233_fix1.patch: usb:
rndis_host: fix crash while probing a Nokia S60 mobile [#244459]
- patches.fixes/usb_nokia6233_fix2.patch: usbnet: init fault (oops) cleanup, whitespace fixes [#244459]
- patches.fixes/usb_nokia6233_fix2.patch: usb:
unusual_devs.h entry for Nokia 6233 [#244459]
- patches.fixes/bt_broadcom_reset.diff: quirky Broadcom device [#257303]
- patches.arch/i386-compat-vdso: i386: allow debuggers to access the vsyscall page with compat vDSO [#258433]
- - patches.fixes/anycast6-unbalanced-inet6_dev-refcnt.patch : Fix netdevice reference leak when reading from /proc/net/anycast6 [#285336]
- - patches.drivers/scsi-throttle-SG_DXFER_TO_FROM_DEV-warni ng-b etter: SCSI: throttle SG_DXFER_TO_FROM_DEV warning message better [#290117]
- - patches.fixes/nf_conntrack_h323-out-of-bounds-index.diff : nf_conntrack_h323: add checking of out-of-range on choices' index values [#290611]
- patches.fixes/ppc-fpu-corruption-fix.diff: ppc: fix corruption of fpu [#290622]
- - patches.fixes/ppp-fix-osize-too-small-errors-when-decodi ng-m ppe.diff: ppp: Fix osize too small errors when decoding mppe [#291102]
- patches.fixes/hugetlbfs-stack-grows-fix.patch: Don't allow the stack to grow into hugetlb reserved regions [#294021]
- patches.fixes/pwc_dos.patch: fix a disconnect method waiting for user space to close a file. A malicious user can stall khubd indefinitely long [#302063] [#302194]
- patches.suse/kdb.add-unwind-info-to-kdb_call: Add unwind info to kdb_call() to fix build of KDB kernel on i386 [#305209]
- Updated config files: enable KDB for kernel-debug on i386. [#305209]
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages.