openSUSE 10 Security Update : kernel (kernel-2397)
High Nessus Plugin ID 27291
SynopsisThe remote openSUSE host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThis kernel update fixes the following security problems :
- CVE-2006-4145: A bug within the UDF filesystem that caused machine hangs when truncating files on the filesystem was fixed. [#186226]
- A potential crash when receiving IPX packets was fixed. This problem is thought not to be exploitable.
- CVE-2006-4623: A problem in DVB packet handling could be used to crash the machine when receiving DVB net packages is active. [#201429]
- CVE-2006-3741: A struct file leak was fixed in the perfmon(2) system call on the Itanium architecture.
- CVE-2006-4538: A malformed ELF image can be used on the Itanium architecture to trigger a kernel crash (denial of service) when a local attacker can supply it to be started. [#203822]
- CVE-2006-4997: A problem in the ATM protocol handling clip_mkip function could be used by remote attackers to potentially crash the machine. [#205383]
- CVE-2006-6060: A problem in the grow_buffers function could be used to crash or hang the machine using a corrupted filesystem. This affects filesystem types ISO9660 and NTFS. [#205384]
- CVE-2006-5173: On the i386 architecture the ELFAGS content was not correctly saved, which could be used by local attackers to crash other programs using the AC and NT flag or to escalate privileges by waiting for iopl privileges to be leaked. [#209386]
- CVE-2006-5174: On the S/390 architecture copy_from_user() could be used by local attackers to read kernel memory. [#209880]
- CVE-2006-5619: A problem in IPv6 flowlabel handling can be used by local attackers to hang the machine.
- CVE-2006-5648: On the PowerPC architecture a syscall has been wired without the proper futex implementation that can be exploited by a local attacker to hang the machine. [#217295]
- CVE-2006-5649: On the PowerPC architecture the proper futex implementation was missing a fix for alignment check which could be used by a local attacker to crash the machine. [#217295]
- CVE-2006-5823: A problem in cramfs could be used to crash the machine during mounting a crafted cramfs image. This requires an attacker to supply such a crafted image and have a user mount it. [#218237]
- CVE-2006-6053: A problem in the ext3 filesystem could be used by attackers able to supply a crafted ext3 image to cause a denial of service or further data corruption if a user mounts this image. [#220288]
- CVE-2006-6056: Missing return code checking in the HFS could be used to crash machine when a user complicit attacker is able to supply a specially crafted HFS image. [#221230]
- CVE-2006-4572: Multiple unspecified vulnerabilities in netfilter for IPv6 code allow remote attackers to bypass intended restrictions via fragmentation attack vectors, aka (1) 'ip6_tables protocol bypass bug' and (2) 'ip6_tables extension header bypass bug'. [#221313]
- CVE-2006-5751: An integer overflow in the networking bridge ioctl starting with Kernel 2.6.7 could be used by local attackers to overflow kernel memory buffers and potentially escalate privileges [#222656]
Additionaly this kernel catches up to the SLE 10 state of the kernel, with massive additional fixes.
SolutionUpdate the affected kernel packages.