FreeBSD : jabberd -- denial-of-service vulnerability (2e25d38b-54d1-11d9-b612-000c6e8f12ef)
Medium Nessus Plugin ID 18889
SynopsisThe remote FreeBSD host is missing a security-related update.
DescriptionJose Antonio Calvo discovered a bug in the Jabber 1.x server.
According to Matthias Wimmer :
Without this patch, it is possible to remotly crash jabberd14, if there is access to one of the following types of network sockets :
- Socket accepting client connections
- Socket accepting connections from other servers
- Socket connecting to an other Jabber server
- Socket accepting connections from server components
- Socket connecting to server components
This is any socket on which the jabberd server parses XML!
The problem existed in the included expat XML parser code. This patch removes the included expat code from jabberd14 and links jabberd against an installed version of expat.
SolutionUpdate the affected package.