SynopsisThe remote Slackware Linux host is missing a security update to kernel-generic.
DescriptionThe version of kernel-generic installed on the remote host is prior to 5.15.63 / 5.15.63_smp. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the SSA:2022-237-02 advisory.
- When sending malicous data to kernel by ioctl cmd FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO,kernel will write memory out of bounds. (CVE-2021-33655)
- A memory leak problem was found in the TCP source port generation algorithm in net/ipv4/tcp.c due to the small table perturb size. This flaw may allow an attacker to information leak and may cause a denial of service problem. (CVE-2022-1012)
- An out-of-bounds read flaw was found in the Linux kernel's TeleTYpe subsystem. The issue occurs in how a user triggers a race condition using ioctls TIOCSPTLCK and TIOCGPTPEER and TIOCSTI and TCXONC with leakage of memory in the flush_to_ldisc function. This flaw allows a local user to crash the system or read unauthorized random data from memory. (CVE-2022-1462)
- Linux Kernel could allow a local attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by a concurrency use-after-free flaw in the bad_flp_intr function. By executing a specially-crafted program, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service condition on the system. (CVE-2022-1652)
- A use-after-free flaw was found in the Linux kernel's Atheros wireless adapter driver in the way a user forces the ath9k_htc_wait_for_target function to fail with some input messages. This flaw allows a local user to crash or potentially escalate their privileges on the system. (CVE-2022-1679)
- A flaw in Linux Kernel found in nfcmrvl_nci_unregister_dev() in drivers/nfc/nfcmrvl/main.c can lead to use after free both read or write when non synchronized between cleanup routine and firmware download routine.
- With shadow paging enabled, the INVPCID instruction results in a call to kvm_mmu_invpcid_gva. If INVPCID is executed with CR0.PG=0, the invlpg callback is not set and the result is a NULL pointer dereference.
- A NULL pointer dereference flaw was found in the Linux kernel's KVM module, which can lead to a denial of service in the x86_emulate_insn in arch/x86/kvm/emulate.c. This flaw occurs while executing an illegal instruction in guest in the Intel CPU. (CVE-2022-1852)
- A flaw out of bounds memory write in the Linux kernel UDF file system functionality was found in the way user triggers some file operation which triggers udf_write_fi(). A local user could use this flaw to crash the system or potentially (CVE-2022-1943)
- ** REJECT ** DO NOT USE THIS CANDIDATE NUMBER. ConsultIDs: CVE-2022-32250. Reason: This candidate is a duplicate of CVE-2022-32250. Notes: All CVE users should reference CVE-2022-32250 instead of this candidate. All references and descriptions in this candidate have been removed to prevent accidental usage. (CVE-2022-1966)
- A use-after-free flaw was found in the Linux kernel in log_replay in fs/ntfs3/fslog.c in the NTFS journal.
This flaw allows a local attacker to crash the system and leads to a kernel information leak problem.
- A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel's nft_set_desc_concat_parse() function .This flaw allows an attacker to trigger a buffer overflow via nft_set_desc_concat_parse() , causing a denial of service and possibly to run code. (CVE-2022-2078)
- Incomplete cleanup of multi-core shared buffers for some Intel(R) Processors may allow an authenticated user to potentially enable information disclosure via local access. (CVE-2022-21123)
- Incomplete cleanup of microarchitectural fill buffers on some Intel(R) Processors may allow an authenticated user to potentially enable information disclosure via local access. (CVE-2022-21125)
- Incomplete cleanup in specific special register write operations for some Intel(R) Processors may allow an authenticated user to potentially enable information disclosure via local access. (CVE-2022-21166)
- KGDB and KDB allow read and write access to kernel memory, and thus should be restricted during lockdown.
An attacker with access to a serial port could trigger the debugger so it is important that the debugger respect the lockdown mode when/if it is triggered. CVSS 3.1 Base Score 6.5 (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability impacts). CVSS Vector: (CVSS:3.1/AV:L/AC:L/PR:H/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H). (CVE-2022-21499)
- There are use-after-free vulnerabilities caused by timer handler in net/rose/rose_timer.c of linux that allow attackers to crash linux kernel without any privileges. (CVE-2022-2318)
- Dm-verity is used for extending root-of-trust to root filesystems. LoadPin builds on this property to restrict module/firmware loads to just the trusted root filesystem. Device-mapper table reloads currently allow users with root privileges to switch out the target with an equivalent dm-linear target and bypass verification till reboot. This allows root to bypass LoadPin and can be used to load untrusted and unverified kernel modules and firmware, which implies arbitrary kernel execution and persistence for peripherals that do not verify firmware updates. We recommend upgrading past commit 4caae58406f8ceb741603eee460d79bacca9b1b5 (CVE-2022-2503)
- Linux disk/nic frontends data leaks T[his CNA information record relates to multiple CVEs; the text explains which aspects/vulnerabilities correspond to which CVE.] Linux Block and Network PV device frontends don't zero memory regions before sharing them with the backend (CVE-2022-26365, CVE-2022-33740).
Additionally the granularity of the grant table doesn't allow sharing less than a 4K page, leading to unrelated data residing in the same 4K page as data shared with a backend being accessible by such backend (CVE-2022-33741, CVE-2022-33742). (CVE-2022-26365, CVE-2022-33740, CVE-2022-33741, CVE-2022-33742)
- Non-transparent sharing of return predictor targets between contexts in some Intel(R) Processors may allow an authorized user to potentially enable information disclosure via local access. (CVE-2022-26373)
- An out-of-bounds memory access flaw was found in the Linux kernel Intel's iSMT SMBus host controller driver in the way a user triggers the I2C_SMBUS_BLOCK_DATA (with the ioctl I2C_SMBUS) with malicious input data. This flaw allows a local user to crash the system. (CVE-2022-2873)
- The SUNRPC subsystem in the Linux kernel through 5.17.2 can call xs_xprt_free before ensuring that sockets are in the intended state. (CVE-2022-28893)
- Mis-trained branch predictions for return instructions may allow arbitrary speculative code execution under certain microarchitecture-dependent conditions. (CVE-2022-29900)
- Intel microprocessor generations 6 to 8 are affected by a new Spectre variant that is able to bypass their retpoline mitigation in the kernel to leak arbitrary data. An attacker with unprivileged user access can hijack return instructions to achieve arbitrary speculative code execution under certain microarchitecture-dependent conditions. (CVE-2022-29901)
- net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c in the Linux kernel through 5.18.1 allows a local user (able to create user/net namespaces) to escalate privileges to root because an incorrect NFT_STATEFUL_EXPR check leads to a use-after-free. (CVE-2022-32250)
- The Linux kernel before 5.17.9 allows TCP servers to identify clients by observing what source ports are used. (CVE-2022-32296)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel through 5.18.3 on powerpc 32-bit platforms. There is a buffer overflow in ptrace PEEKUSER and POKEUSER (aka PEEKUSR and POKEUSR) when accessing floating point registers. (CVE-2022-32981)
- network backend may cause Linux netfront to use freed SKBs While adding logic to support XDP (eXpress Data Path), a code label was moved in a way allowing for SKBs having references (pointers) retained for further processing to nevertheless be freed. (CVE-2022-33743)
- Arm guests can cause Dom0 DoS via PV devices When mapping pages of guests on Arm, dom0 is using an rbtree to keep track of the foreign mappings. Updating of that rbtree is not always done completely with the related lock held, resulting in a small race window, which can be used by unprivileged guests via PV devices to cause inconsistencies of the rbtree. These inconsistencies can lead to Denial of Service (DoS) of dom0, e.g. by causing crashes or the inability to perform further mappings of other guests' memory pages. (CVE-2022-33744)
- rpmsg_virtio_add_ctrl_dev in drivers/rpmsg/virtio_rpmsg_bus.c in the Linux kernel before 5.18.4 has a double free. (CVE-2022-34494)
- rpmsg_probe in drivers/rpmsg/virtio_rpmsg_bus.c in the Linux kernel before 5.18.4 has a double free.
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel through 5.18.9. A type confusion bug in nft_set_elem_init (leading to a buffer overflow) could be used by a local attacker to escalate privileges, a different vulnerability than CVE-2022-32250. (The attacker can obtain root access, but must start with an unprivileged user namespace to obtain CAP_NET_ADMIN access.) This can be fixed in nft_setelem_parse_data in net/netfilter/nf_tables_api.c. (CVE-2022-34918)
- The Linux kernel before 5.18.13 lacks a certain clear operation for the block starting symbol (.bss). This allows Xen PV guest OS users to cause a denial of service or gain privileges. (CVE-2022-36123)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel through 5.18.14. xfrm_expand_policies in net/xfrm/xfrm_policy.c can cause a refcount to be dropped twice. (CVE-2022-36879)
- nfqnl_mangle in net/netfilter/nfnetlink_queue.c in the Linux kernel through 5.18.14 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (panic) because, in the case of an nf_queue verdict with a one-byte nfta_payload attribute, an skb_pull can encounter a negative skb->len. (CVE-2022-36946)
- A kernel information leak flaw was identified in the scsi_ioctl function in drivers/scsi/scsi_ioctl.c in the Linux kernel. This flaw allows a local attacker with a special user privilege (CAP_SYS_ADMIN or CAP_SYS_RAWIO) to create issues with confidentiality. (CVE-2022-0494) (CVE-2022-1184)
- kernel: race condition in perf_event_open leads to privilege escalation (CVE-2022-1729)
- A use-after-free flaw was found in fs/ext4/namei.c:dx_insert_block() in the Linux kernel's filesystem sub- component. This flaw allows a local attacker with a user privilege to cause a denial of service.
- A bug in the IMA subsystem was discovered which would incorrectly allow kexec to be used when kernel lockdown was enabled (CVE-2022-21505) (CVE-2022-21505)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpgrade the affected kernel-generic package.
File Name: Slackware_SSA_2022-237-02.nasl
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-generic, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-generic-smp, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-headers, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-huge, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-huge-smp, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-modules, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-modules-smp, p-cpe:/a:slackware:slackware_linux:kernel-source, cpe:/o:slackware:slackware_linux:15.0
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/Slackware/release, Host/Slackware/packages
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/11/2022
Metasploit (Netfilter nft_set_elem_init Heap Overflow Privilege Escalation)
CVE: CVE-2021-33655, CVE-2022-1012, CVE-2022-1184, CVE-2022-1462, CVE-2022-1652, CVE-2022-1679, CVE-2022-1729, CVE-2022-1734, CVE-2022-1789, CVE-2022-1852, CVE-2022-1943, CVE-2022-1966, CVE-2022-1972, CVE-2022-1973, CVE-2022-1974, CVE-2022-1975, CVE-2022-2078, CVE-2022-2318, CVE-2022-2503, CVE-2022-2585, CVE-2022-2586, CVE-2022-2588, CVE-2022-2873, CVE-2022-21123, CVE-2022-21125, CVE-2022-21166, CVE-2022-21499, CVE-2022-21505, CVE-2022-26365, CVE-2022-26373, CVE-2022-28893, CVE-2022-29900, CVE-2022-29901, CVE-2022-32250, CVE-2022-32296, CVE-2022-32981, CVE-2022-33740, CVE-2022-33741, CVE-2022-33742, CVE-2022-33743, CVE-2022-33744, CVE-2022-34494, CVE-2022-34495, CVE-2022-34918, CVE-2022-36123, CVE-2022-36879, CVE-2022-36946