SynopsisThe remote Amazon Linux 2 host is missing a security update.
DescriptionThe version of kernel installed on the remote host is prior to 5.4.141-67.229. It is, therefore, affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the ALAS2KERNEL-5.4-2022-006 advisory.
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.9. arch/x86/kvm/svm/sev.c allows attackers to cause a denial of service (soft lockup) by triggering destruction of a large SEV VM (which requires unregistering many encrypted regions), aka CID-7be74942f184. (CVE-2020-36311)
- In kernel/bpf/verifier.c in the Linux kernel before 5.12.13, a branch can be mispredicted (e.g., because of type confusion) and consequently an unprivileged BPF program can read arbitrary memory locations via a side-channel attack, aka CID-9183671af6db. (CVE-2021-33624)
- A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel in versions prior to v5.14-rc1. Missing size validations on inbound SCTP packets may allow the kernel to read uninitialized memory. (CVE-2021-3655)
- A lack of CPU resource in the Linux kernel tracing module functionality in versions prior to 5.14-rc3 was found in the way user uses trace ring buffer in a specific way. Only privileged local users (with CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability) could use this flaw to starve the resources causing denial of service.
- ** DISPUTED ** In drivers/char/virtio_console.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4, data corruption or loss can be triggered by an untrusted device that supplies a buf->len value exceeding the buffer size. NOTE:
the vendor indicates that the cited data corruption is not a vulnerability in any existing use case; the length validation was added solely for robustness in the face of anomalous host OS behavior.
- arch/x86/kvm/mmu/paging_tmpl.h in the Linux kernel before 5.12.11 incorrectly computes the access permissions of a shadow page, leading to a missing guest protection page fault. (CVE-2021-38198)
- fs/nfs/nfs4client.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4 has incorrect connection-setup ordering, which allows operators of remote NFSv4 servers to cause a denial of service (hanging of mounts) by arranging for those servers to be unreachable during trunking detection. (CVE-2021-38199)
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionRun 'yum update kernel' to update your system.
File Name: al2_ALASKERNEL-5_4-2022-006.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:bpftool, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:bpftool-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-aarch64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-debuginfo-common-x86_64, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-headers, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:kernel-tools-devel, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:perf-debuginfo, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf, p-cpe:/a:amazon:linux:python-perf-debuginfo, cpe:/o:amazon:linux:2
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/AmazonLinux/release, Host/AmazonLinux/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 1/20/2022
Vulnerability Publication Date: 4/7/2021