SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SLED15 / SLED_SAP15 / SLES15 / SLES_SAP15 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the SUSE-SU-2022:1127-1 advisory.
- <code>NSSToken</code> objects were referenced via direct points, and could have been accessed in an unsafe way on different threads, leading to a use-after-free and potentially exploitable crash. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8, Firefox < 99, and Firefox ESR < 91.8. (CVE-2022-1097)
- After a VR Process is destroyed, a reference to it may have been retained and used, leading to a use- after-free and potentially exploitable crash. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8 and Firefox ESR < 91.8. (CVE-2022-1196)
- regex is an implementation of regular expressions for the Rust language. The regex crate features built-in mitigations to prevent denial of service attacks caused by untrusted regexes, or untrusted input matched by trusted regexes. Those (tunable) mitigations already provide sane defaults to prevent attacks. This guarantee is documented and it's considered part of the crate's API. Unfortunately a bug was discovered in the mitigations designed to prevent untrusted regexes to take an arbitrary amount of time during parsing, and it's possible to craft regexes that bypass such mitigations. This makes it possible to perform denial of service attacks by sending specially crafted regexes to services accepting user-controlled, untrusted regexes. All versions of the regex crate before or equal to 1.5.4 are affected by this issue. The fix is include starting from regex 1.5.5. All users accepting user-controlled regexes are recommended to upgrade immediately to the latest version of the regex crate. Unfortunately there is no fixed set of problematic regexes, as there are practically infinite regexes that could be crafted to exploit this vulnerability.
Because of this, it us not recommend to deny known problematic regexes. (CVE-2022-24713)
- If a compromised content process sent an unexpected number of WebAuthN Extensions in a Register command to the parent process, an out of bounds write would have occurred leading to memory corruption and a potentially exploitable crash. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8, Firefox < 99, and Firefox ESR < 91.8. (CVE-2022-28281)
- When generating the assembly code for <code>MLoadTypedArrayElementHole</code>, an incorrect AliasSet was used. In conjunction with another vulnerability this could have been used for an out of bounds memory read. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8, Firefox < 99, and Firefox ESR < 91.8.
- Due to a layout change, iframe contents could have been rendered outside of its border. This could have led to user confusion or spoofing attacks. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8, Firefox < 99, and Firefox ESR < 91.8. (CVE-2022-28286)
- Mozilla developers and community members Nika Layzell, Andrew McCreight, Gabriele Svelto, and the Mozilla Fuzzing Team reported memory safety bugs present in Thunderbird 91.7. Some of these bugs showed evidence of memory corruption and we presume that with enough effort some of these could have been exploited to run arbitrary code. This vulnerability affects Thunderbird < 91.8, Firefox < 99, and Firefox ESR < 91.8.
Note that Nessus has not tested for these issues but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected MozillaFirefox, MozillaFirefox-devel, MozillaFirefox-translations-common and / or MozillaFirefox- translations-other packages.
File Name: suse_SU-2022-1127-1.nasl
Supported Sensors: Agentless Assessment, Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: CVSS:3.0/E:P/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:mozillafirefox, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:mozillafirefox-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:mozillafirefox-translations-common, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:mozillafirefox-translations-other, cpe:/o:novell:suse_linux:15
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 4/7/2022
Vulnerability Publication Date: 3/8/2022