SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SUSE15 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the openSUSE-SU-2022:0768-1 advisory.
- In gc_data_segment in fs/f2fs/gc.c in the Linux kernel before 5.16.3, special files are not considered, leading to a move_data_page NULL pointer dereference. (CVE-2021-44879)
- Amazon Linux has been made aware of a potential Branch Target Injection (BTI) issue (sometimes referred to as Spectre variant 2). This is a known cross-domain transient execution attack where a third party may seek to cause a disclosure gadget to be speculatively executed after an indirect branch prediction.
Generally, actors who attempt transient execution attacks do not have access to the data on the hosts they attempt to access (e.g. where privilege-level isolation is in place). For such attacks to succeed, actors need to be able to run code on the (virtual) machine hosting the data in which they are interested.
(CVE-2022-0001, CVE-2022-0002, CVE-2022-0847)
- A use-after-free vulnerability was found in rtsx_usb_ms_drv_remove in drivers/memstick/host/rtsx_usb_ms.c in memstick in the Linux kernel. In this flaw, a local attacker with a user privilege may impact system Confidentiality. This flaw affects kernel versions prior to 5.14 rc1. (CVE-2022-0487)
- A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel's cgroup_release_agent_write in the kernel/cgroup/cgroup-v1.c function. This flaw, under certain circumstances, allows the use of the cgroups v1 release_agent feature to escalate privileges and bypass the namespace isolation unexpectedly.
- A flaw null pointer dereference in the Linux kernel UDF file system functionality was found in the way user triggers udf_file_write_iter function for the malicious UDF image. A local user could use this flaw to crash the system. Actual from Linux kernel 4.2-rc1 till 5.17-rc2. (CVE-2022-0617)
- An issue was discovered in fs/nfs/dir.c in the Linux kernel before 5.16.5. If an application sets the O_DIRECTORY flag, and tries to open a regular file, nfs_atomic_open() performs a regular lookup. If a regular file is found, ENOTDIR should occur, but the server instead returns uninitialized data in the file descriptor. (CVE-2022-24448)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.16.5. There is a memory leak in yam_siocdevprivate in drivers/net/hamradio/yam.c. (CVE-2022-24959)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.
File Name: openSUSE-2022-0768-1.nasl
Supported Sensors: Frictionless Assessment Agent, Frictionless Assessment AWS, Frictionless Assessment Azure, Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:H/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-debug-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-default-man, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-kvmsmall-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-vanilla, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-vanilla-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-vanilla-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-vanilla-livepatch-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:opensuse:kernel-zfcpdumman, cpe:/o:novell:opensuse:15.3
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: Exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 3/9/2022
Vulnerability Publication Date: 2/4/2022
CISA Known Exploited Dates: 5/16/2022
Metasploit (Dirty Pipe Local Privilege Escalation via CVE-2022-0847)