SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SLES11 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the SUSE-SU-2021:14849-1 advisory.
- The sctp_process_param function in net/sctp/sm_make_chunk.c in the SCTP implementation in the Linux kernel before 3.17.4, when ASCONF is used, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and system crash) via a malformed INIT chunk. (CVE-2014-7841)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.10. drivers/infiniband/core/ucma.c has a use-after- free because the ctx is reached via the ctx_list in some ucma_migrate_id situations where ucma_close is called, aka CID-f5449e74802c. (CVE-2020-36385)
- A flaw was found in the way memory resources were freed in the unix_stream_recvmsg function in the Linux kernel when a signal was pending. This flaw allows an unprivileged local user to crash the system by exhausting available memory. The highest threat from this vulnerability is to system availability.
- The Linux kernel before 5.11.14 has a use-after-free in cipso_v4_genopt in net/ipv4/cipso_ipv4.c because the CIPSO and CALIPSO refcounting for the DOI definitions is mishandled, aka CID-ad5d07f4a9cd. This leads to writing an arbitrary value. (CVE-2021-33033)
- ** REJECT ** DO NOT USE THIS CANDIDATE NUMBER. ConsultIDs: CVE-2021-42739. Reason: This candidate is a reservation duplicate of CVE-2021-42739. Notes: All CVE users should reference CVE-2021-42739 instead of this candidate. All references and descriptions in this candidate have been removed to prevent accidental usage. (CVE-2021-3542)
- kernel: race condition in net/can/bcm.c leads to local privilege escalation (CVE-2021-3609)
- A flaw was found in the KVM's AMD code for supporting SVM nested virtualization. The flaw occurs when processing the VMCB (virtual machine control block) provided by the L1 guest to spawn/handle a nested guest (L2). Due to improper validation of the int_ctl field, this issue could allow a malicious L1 to enable AVIC support (Advanced Virtual Interrupt Controller) for the L2 guest. As a result, the L2 guest would be allowed to read/write physical pages of the host, resulting in a crash of the entire system, leak of sensitive data or potential guest-to-host escape. This flaw affects Linux kernel versions prior to 5.14-rc7. (CVE-2021-3653)
- A vulnerability was found in the Linux kernel in versions prior to v5.14-rc1. Missing size validations on inbound SCTP packets may allow the kernel to read uninitialized memory. (CVE-2021-3655)
- A lack of CPU resource in the Linux kernel tracing module functionality in versions prior to 5.14-rc3 was found in the way user uses trace ring buffer in a specific way. Only privileged local users (with CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability) could use this flaw to starve the resources causing denial of service.
- hso_free_net_device in drivers/net/usb/hso.c in the Linux kernel through 5.13.4 calls unregister_netdev without checking for the NETREG_REGISTERED state, leading to a use-after-free and a double free.
- ** DISPUTED ** In drivers/char/virtio_console.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4, data corruption or loss can be triggered by an untrusted device that supplies a buf->len value exceeding the buffer size. NOTE:
the vendor indicates that the cited data corruption is not a vulnerability in any existing use case; the length validation was added solely for robustness in the face of anomalous host OS behavior.
- arch/x86/kvm/mmu/paging_tmpl.h in the Linux kernel before 5.12.11 incorrectly computes the access permissions of a shadow page, leading to a missing guest protection page fault. (CVE-2021-38198)
- The decode_data function in drivers/net/hamradio/6pack.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.13 has a slab out-of-bounds write. Input from a process that has the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability can lead to root access.
- The firewire subsystem in the Linux kernel through 5.14.13 has a buffer overflow related to drivers/media/firewire/firedtv-avc.c and drivers/media/firewire/firedtv-ci.c, because avc_ca_pmt mishandles bounds checking. (CVE-2021-42739)
- An issue was discovered in the Linux kernel before 5.14.15. There is an array-index-out-of-bounds flaw in the detach_capi_ctr function in drivers/isdn/capi/kcapi.c. (CVE-2021-43389)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.
File Name: suse_SU-2021-14849-1.nasl
Supported Sensors: Nessus Agent
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-bigmem, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-bigmem-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-bigmem-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-default, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-default-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-default-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-default-man, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ec2, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ec2-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ec2-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-pae, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-pae-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-pae-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ppc64, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ppc64-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-ppc64-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-source, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-syms, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-trace, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-trace-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-trace-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-xen, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-xen-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-xen-devel, cpe:/o:novell:suse_linux:11
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 12/1/2021
Vulnerability Publication Date: 11/13/2014
CVE: CVE-2014-7841, CVE-2020-36385, CVE-2021-3542, CVE-2021-3609, CVE-2021-3640, CVE-2021-3653, CVE-2021-3655, CVE-2021-3679, CVE-2021-3772, CVE-2021-20265, CVE-2021-33033, CVE-2021-37159, CVE-2021-38160, CVE-2021-38198, CVE-2021-42008, CVE-2021-42739, CVE-2021-43389