New! Plugin Severity Now Using CVSS v3
The calculated severity for Plugins has been updated to use CVSS v3 by default. Plugins that do not have a CVSS v3 score will fall back to CVSS v2 for calculating severity. Severity display preferences can be toggled in the settings dropdown.
SynopsisThe remote SUSE host is missing one or more security updates.
DescriptionThe remote SUSE Linux SLES12 host has packages installed that are affected by multiple vulnerabilities as referenced in the SUSE-SU-2021:3192-1 advisory.
- In pppol2tp_connect, there is possible memory corruption due to a use after free. This could lead to local escalation of privilege with System execution privileges needed. User interaction is not needed for exploitation. Product: Android. Versions: Android kernel. Android ID: A-38159931. (CVE-2018-9517)
- The SCTP socket buffer used by a userspace application is not accounted by the cgroups subsystem. An attacker can use this flaw to cause a denial of service attack. Kernel 3.10.x and 4.18.x branches are believed to be vulnerable. (CVE-2019-3874)
- An infinite loop issue was found in the vhost_net kernel module in Linux Kernel up to and including v5.1-rc6, while handling incoming packets in handle_rx(). It could occur if one end sends packets faster than the other end can process them. A guest user, maybe remote one, could use this flaw to stall the vhost_net kernel thread, resulting in a DoS scenario. (CVE-2019-3900)
- kernel: SVM nested virtualization issue in KVM (AVIC support) (CVE-2021-3653)
- A flaw was found in the KVM's AMD code for supporting SVM nested virtualization. The flaw occurs when processing the VMCB (virtual machine control block) provided by the L1 guest to spawn/handle a nested guest (L2). Due to improper validation of the int_ctl field, this issue could allow a malicious L1 to enable AVIC support (Advanced Virtual Interrupt Controller) for the L2 guest. As a result, the L2 guest would be allowed to read/write physical pages of the host, resulting in a crash of the entire system, leak of sensitive data or potential guest-to-host escape. (CVE-2021-3653) (CVE-2021-3656, CVE-2021-3732, CVE-2021-3753)
- A lack of CPU resource in the Linux kernel tracing module functionality in versions prior to 5.14-rc3 was found in the way user uses trace ring buffer in a specific way. Only privileged local users (with CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability) could use this flaw to starve the resources causing denial of service.
- ** DISPUTED ** In drivers/char/virtio_console.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.4, data corruption or loss can be triggered by an untrusted device that supplies a buf->len value exceeding the buffer size. NOTE:
the vendor indicates that the cited data corruption is not a vulnerability in any existing use case; the length validation was added solely for robustness in the face of anomalous host OS behavior.
- arch/x86/kvm/mmu/paging_tmpl.h in the Linux kernel before 5.12.11 incorrectly computes the access permissions of a shadow page, leading to a missing guest protection page fault. (CVE-2021-38198)
- drivers/usb/host/max3421-hcd.c in the Linux kernel before 5.13.6 allows physically proximate attackers to cause a denial of service (use-after-free and panic) by removing a MAX-3421 USB device in certain situations. (CVE-2021-38204)
Note that Nessus has not tested for this issue but has instead relied only on the application's self-reported version number.
SolutionUpdate the affected packages.
File Name: suse_SU-2021-3192-1.nasl
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:OF/RC:C
Temporal Vector: E:U/RL:O/RC:C
CPE: p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-azure-base, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-azure-devel, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-devel-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-source-azure, p-cpe:/a:novell:suse_linux:kernel-syms-azure, cpe:/o:novell:suse_linux:12
Required KB Items: Host/local_checks_enabled, Host/cpu, Host/SuSE/release, Host/SuSE/rpm-list
Exploit Ease: No known exploits are available
Patch Publication Date: 9/22/2021
Vulnerability Publication Date: 12/7/2018
CVE: CVE-2018-9517, CVE-2019-3874, CVE-2019-3900, CVE-2021-3640, CVE-2021-3653, CVE-2021-3656, CVE-2021-3679, CVE-2021-3732, CVE-2021-3753, CVE-2021-3759, CVE-2021-38160, CVE-2021-38198, CVE-2021-38204